Thread: Problems with my remote.

Problems with my remote.

Ive started having problems with my remote and Tivo. When I push a button on the remote it wont work and then it will work and then it wont work again, so it is an intermitant problem that effects every button on the remote. I just replaced the batteries so this isnt the problem. Could someone please help me to fix this because it gets annoying when I fast forward through the adds and go too far becaue the play button wont work?? Thanks

Does the light on the remote come on when the button is pressed?

How old is your TiVo?

Is it just certain buttons?

If the light is not coming on and you are using fresh batteries, the chances are the contacts may be wearing out.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Yes.

I got it for Christmas so 8-9 months old.

Im pretty sure its all the buttons, but I dont use alot of them so Im not 100%.

The light comes on with new batteries so I dont think it would be the contacts

Ok, if the red light comes on, then it is not the contacts on the remote itself.

Is the TiVo behind a glass door in a cabinet?

Are you pointing the remote at the TiVo? A lot of people make the mistake of pointing at the TV.

Is the line of sight from the front of the TiVo to the where you are pressing the Remote from unobstructed?

Does a yellow/orange light show on the TiVo when you press a button.

Do you have compact fluorescents in the effected room and does it occur only when the lights are on?

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

I'm not helping with this but I will mention it anyway. My TiVo suddenly started not recognising some of the buttons too a few months back. It only seemed to be some of the buttons and mostly ones at the top of the remote or useful ones. The light flashes etc and if you press it over and over again it would register but was a real pain. I also tried changing batteries with no improvement. I assumed because it wasn't all buttons that maybe it was a problem localised to one part of the PCB and maybe the board was damaged when the remote fell on the floor as it does. I had a universal remote that was configured for TiVo too and that was working fine so I doubt it was related to receiving the signal.

In the end after a day or two using my universal remote the TiVo one just came right again. Not sure if reboots etc were needed but whatever it was it hasn't happened before or since and I have been using it for many years now.

Yeh the red light on the remote come on.

Nah my Tivo unit is sitting next to my TV out in the open.

I dont think that would be the problem. I dont use the remote from directly in front of the unit but I do point the remote at the unit not the TV.

Yes it is unobstructed.

Only sometimes, this is when the remote acctually works.

Im not sure what compact fluros are exactly but the problem occurs even when the lights are off.

One thing I have noticed is there is only a problem when I start using the remote/Tivo for the first time in a couple of hours. It stops after about 10 mins or using the remote a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by GANTY View Post
    Only sometimes, this is when the remote acctually works.
    I assume this is in reply to "Does a yellow/orange light show on the TiVo when you press a button.".

If the yellow light is not coming on then the TiVo is not seeing any signal from your remote.

If you are pointing at the TiVo & you are using good alkaline batteries, then my guess would be that there is an issue with your remote.

One way to confirm this is the case, is to have someone watch you pressing the buttons on the remote via a digital camera or mobile phone. Through the display, you should see the infrared (IR) LED flicker when you press the buttons. If you press the buttons and the IR LED does not flicker then there is a fault in the remote (assuming batteries are good).

Peter.