Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extend Recordings Broken

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    I think this may be in testing the new actual run times that are going to be used. ie 8:33 finish instead of the generic 8:30 which is in the pipeline. Are you showing more accurate start times and durations?

Peter.
    The guide shows lots of odd minute start and end times, but this does not mean the recording captures the end of the program. As I said, it was missing the last couple of minutes of a couple of programs that alerted me to the issue.

If you can tell us which programs you missed the end on what channels, on what dates and in which cities, I can pass this on to Hybrid so that they can improve the system.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

I can't be very specific. It was a while ago that I worked out what was going on, and since then I wasted a bunch of time with Tivo Support before finding this forum. I now always manually extend the end times precisely so I don't miss the end. Perhaps you could pass on to them that they could improve the system by going back to the way it was supposed to work according to their instructions. :-(

Ned

Feel free to send that to support yourself.

Tivo have to do a balancing act between allowing more shows to be recorded in a given time frame (many people complained about the 10 minutes padding which generally worked) and trying to accommodate the local stations inability to run to schedule.

I'm happy to pass on any specific issues if you provide the details.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Feel free to send that to support yourself.

Peter.
    Well, I tried that, but support don't believe me, and think I should turn on extend recordings.

I guess I'll have to resign myself to manually extending everything I record.

Thank you for your help.

Ned

im having the exact same problems as you ned with recordings not being extended and with tivo support giving me the same responses not being helpfull at all. for the last month ive had to manually add padding to the end of my recordings with it starting to get frustrating.
    its been awhile since your last post about it have you managed to fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by cirom View Post
    im having the exact same problems as you ned with recordings not being extended and with tivo support giving me the same responses not being helpfull at all. for the last month ive had to manually add padding to the end of my recordings with it starting to get frustrating.
    its been awhile since your last post about it have you managed to fix it?
    Here we are in August and I am finding the same problem. Unfortunately, TiVo Support won't give me any assistance at all because my TiVo has gone out of support. Could you imagine if Microsoft said, after 12 months of providing a new OS, "Sorry folks, we aren't supporting this any more". Absolutely ridiculous. Unfortunately we don't live in a service oriented world anymore, it is all about the money.

Did anyone get a resolution to this issue?

What exactly are the problems you are having, are your recordings not being padded at all or is it just that some are only being padded 1 minute?

Peter.

What exactly are the problems you are having, are your recordings not being padded at all or is it just that some are only being padded 1 minute?

Peter.
    most recordings are only being padded by +1min sometimes sbs add +5min if im lucky. turning on extend recordings should always add +10mins to the end of a recording like it always did

The extend recordings feature was changed a while ago due to complaints from users about 10 minutes being too long, because it was cutting 10 minutes from the beginning of shows that conflict.

HWW who supplies the guide data has started supplying supposedly accurate timings for some shows/stations (mostly Seven and Ten). Instead of show being listed as from 20:30-21:30 the TiVo now has 20:33-21:32 for example, which is the actual time the station is supposed to run this show. Where these accurate timings have been given, TiVo will only pad 1 minute, then if you have a conflict with another show, the most you will miss is the first minute before it switches over (in theory).

The problem with this method is that the stations still cannot run to time, sometimes they start earlier and often they still run later.

The only way to solve this is to add 10 minutes padding to your season passes and any show you manually record.

Please contact support if you feel you are worse off than before, the more complaints they get the more likely something will be done.

Peter.

PS SBS has always had 5 Minutes padding and this has remained the same.