Thread: Foxtel to Launch PVR

Foxtel to Launch PVR

Hi guys,
    After looking at foxtels website i have found that foxtel will be launchihg a PVR possibly next year.

In addition, FOXTEL, in a later phase of its digital roll-out, will introduce the NDS XTV Personal Video Recorder (PVR) to enhance its digital system. It is anticipated that FOXTEL will offer the PVR approximately 12 months after the launch of the first phase of its new digital services. Source: http://www.foxtel.com.au/236_381.htm
    If this goes ahead we will have features such as being able to watch a channel and record another.

Info about the NDS PVR can be found at: http://www.nds.com/personal_tv/xtv_pvr.html

If anyone finds anything more post it here

Smile I'll believe it when I see it

before i got my tivo a few weeks ago, i called foxtel about this 'upcoming' pvr. no one i spoke to knew what a PVR was, then after four people i was finally put through to a 'manager' who told me the only official document she could find said that there were plans to introduce one in the 'near future' and that there would be an additional installation cost (even for existing customers) plus an additional monthly cost. Prices weren't available yet.

Did someone say vaporware?

Im sure it'll show up one day. From what I understand Murdoch who is a major Foxtel shareholder, also owns NDS and also owns DirectTV has learnt a valuable lesson from TiVo ( which he doesn't own ) in the US and applied it to the UK where he owns a lot of BSkyB and instead of TiVo supplied NDS ( funny enough ) PVR's. So it would make sense that they introduce a NDS PVR here in Australia.

I'll believe it when I see it - I'm not cynical by nature, it takes a lot of practice

Now excuse me because Im going to put a deposit on the new Sony PSX console they said it may come to Australia this year... or next.. or the year after that...

Long Live TiVo ( and minnie! )
    Last edited by elarbee; 07-08-2004 at 07:07 PM. Reason: spelling
    its not that im lazy, its that i just dont care

Was talking to someone at Foxtel about this yesterday - no real details but did confirm that it was going to happen sometime late this year early next year.

And on the PSX - should be here by Xmas 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch
    And on the PSX - should be here by Xmas 2004.
    hrmm... we'll see we'll see

Yea my mate who is in a reasonable position (is a planning manager is the area that looks after such products) says they are targetting Xmas, but will not give any guarantees as there is of course involvement from Japan which must be factored in.

All I know is I went to Japan early this year and end up drooling over the very cool PSX - still it won't have the guide feature that TiVo has (I don't think).

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch
    Yea my mate who is in a reasonable position (is a planning manager is the area that looks after such products) says they are targetting Xmas, but will not give any guarantees as there is of course involvement from Japan which must be factored in.

All I know is I went to Japan early this year and end up drooling over the very cool PSX - still it won't have the guide feature that TiVo has (I don't think).
    everything i've seen of the psx looks the goodness. but without the guide data all other PVR's pale in comparison to TiVo with regards to ease of use.

i just don't get excited anymore about vendor promises. i only get excited once the product is actually available to me. BTW being this cynical isn't easy, it takes practice!

i can't believe you went to japan! you lucky bastard i bet it was amazing!