Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garbled picture or no sound

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Garbled picture or no sound

The last few days we've an occasional problem where a program has no sound or the picture is all garbled.
    I don't know whether it is broadcast this way or if it is the TiVo's fault.
    I haven't seen this mentioned in the forums before. Has anyone else had this problem?
    After reboot that particular recording is still garbled.

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

After being transferred (and transcoded) with TiVo Desktop Plus the recording plays back fine.
    Have lodged a TiVo support query and replied with the system info requested...

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

Its been more than 2 months and we haven't seen this again even once. Nothing I can think of has changed, not the signal strength, not anything connected to the TiVo, not the TiVo software version.
    Perhaps the TiVo automatically marks bad HDD sectors when they are detected.

I have joined the S3 crew with the purchase of a unused TiVo from a telecom victim (no reception, no refund).

I too am experiencing the garbled picture and sound drop outs. Its only on one tuner if they both have the same channel selected. Flicking out and back into the channel resolves the problem so I'm picking it may not be the signal? Signal strength is round the 75 mark. It looks like processing overload, would be interested to hear from anyone else or any suggestions.

Is this the original drive?

I have seen similar issues with some non AV rated drives. When used for playback there is some corruption or cannot keep up the stream to the buffer, but when transferring the show out of the TiVo error correction kicks in and works fine (would probably play ok if transferred back also).

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Yes this is the original 160Gb drive, only about 2 months old. I haven't yet made any modifications at all to our TiVoHD. My wife has just complained that it doesn't have much space. I thought 60-120 hours would be heaps since we watch and delete, and don't keep anything long term. Strangely a 1 hour HD program is reported as occupying 5% of space, so that's only about 20hours total recording! 20 hours seems more consistent with how few programs we had recorded before it started automatically deleteing things. So anyway it means that I have permission to upgrade the HDD to 1Tb.

We too have seen the disappearing sound issue, though rarely.

I had occasional garbled video until I added a signal booster to the aeriel line.

On (rare) occasion we have a short total loss of sound, and slight video glitches, though this only seems to affect CTV8. I had one case of an entire recording from One being soundless, I didn't try to transfer it though. I have assumed this is because the TiVo needs a very strong signal and ours (even with booster) is insufficient.

We also have an occasional problem where when we switch the TV on, it cannot detect the HDMI signal from the TiVo. A quick power cycle of the TV fixes it, though.
    Steve Shipway
    Auckland, New Zealand
    2x S3 TiVo HD 320GB (FreeView) - Orcon Internet
    1x S3 TiVo HD 320GB - Power supply reparied, see how I did it here
    UK S1 TiVo - Needs conversion to TivoNZ - For sale

I noticed my HD filling up faster than my Series 1 - when I got the Tivo Desktop installed I found out why - even though I selected record in SD and output at 720lines (old TV) it may still record in HD as the file sizes are much larger - a 30 minute show can range form 1GB to 3GB - my old S1 was just over a GB per hour at the same "quality " settings. So the 160 GB is not a lot :-)

Interesting. Was the program on One the news a few days ago?
    What was your signal strength (on the TiVo-signal-o-meter) before and after the signal boster?
    Ours is 73 to 74 on most channels. Cant remember which mux is slightly higher at 76 sometimes.

The response I got from TiVo support was the usual crap about checking video and audio cables.

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

The program on One was a couple of months back. It was one of the kid's shows.

I'll need to check the signal strength when I get back, but IIRC the before was in the 60s and the after is in the 80s or 90s.
    Steve Shipway
    Auckland, New Zealand
    2x S3 TiVo HD 320GB (FreeView) - Orcon Internet
    1x S3 TiVo HD 320GB - Power supply reparied, see how I did it here
    UK S1 TiVo - Needs conversion to TivoNZ - For sale