Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Thomson TiVo

Problems with Thomson TiVo

Hi

Newbie here. I have just put ozTiVo_installer_Philips_1.6.2_20080604.iso onto my UK Thomson TiVo (using internal modem for guide data and Minicom over serial cable for checking config). I have a couple of problems, one with the tuner (probably) and one with the RF out.

I get through the setup and can download from the emulator (I can see descriptions of which programmes are on, no problem).

However, Live TV fails nearly always (problem 1). On rare occassions it works but I get scratchy reception. I am using the tuner input (RF in to antenna). Plugging the same antenna input into my TV or video gives pretty decent reception on all channels, and crystal clear on three or four of them.

Also, I have the RF out on the TiVo going into my TV (I can't use the SCART), and so I have to tune my TV to get the TiVo OSD. The required tuning is very close to Prime TV. As a result, I have Prime TV audio and interference on the screen (problem 2). I can see no way to change this tuning (I have used palmod_config but it has made no difference, perhaps because ukchan30.o rather than palmod.o is automatically used for the Thomson).

Does anybody have any suggestions? I was hoping (perhaps rather optimistically) to avoid the fairly massive NZ-specific Thomson .iso download. I have done some googling and scanned the forums, but I really don't know where to start.

Tony

More digging yields this post: http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?2312

Not impossible that it is related, though that poster seems to be using the SCART connectors.

Have you set the tuner channels to NZ and the rf out frequency using palmod_config from bash prompt as the settings in 1.6.2 are by default Australian?

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Have you set the tuner channels to NZ and the rf out frequency using palmod_config from bash prompt as the settings in 1.6.2 are by default Australian?
    That's a good suggestion. I have used the palmod_config tool to select NZ frequencies and to set the rf out channel to 62 instead of 60 (I have also rebooted and rerun palmod_config to check that it retains the settings, which it does). Unfortunately it made no difference.

I'm not sure that information from palmod_config is being used at all. Looking at the startup scripts (rc.arch) I think the file palmod.conf (which I guess is generated by palmod_config?) is only used when the palmod.o module is inserted, not when the ukchan30.o module is inserted. Perhaps the choices of frequency table etc. are hardcoded in ukchan30.o, and I will need to compile my own?

By the by, I see that palmod.conf on my system doesn't include the choice of frequency table. However, palmod_conf is reading it from _somewhere_ since it persists when I change it, even across reboots.

I think you will need to replace the ukchan file with a NZ version, try this one (renamed appropriately of course):
    http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread....=8228#post8228

Regarding setting the output channel - give this a try:
    http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread....=8440#post8440

Personally I would suggest downloading the Thomson .iso image - it is a bit more work to set up, but it will avoid the event bug where the remote locks up, and all of the menus/settings work correctly (like changing the rf output channel!).

Thomson Installer failing to install on 40Gb drive (target too small)

Thanks for the advice.

Okay, so rather than mess about with module / kernel compatability issues (2.5.5 modules unlikely to work with 3.0 kernel I figure), I have bitten the bullet and attempted to install nzTiVo-Thomson-Installer-Dec06RC1.iso.

I have a new problem now: the installer is failing on the mfsrestore command ("First target drive too small"). I'm trying to install to the 40Gb the TiVo came with. I guess this means that the mfs backup it is trying to restore was from a bigger drive.

Is there anything to be done about this? I don't have any drive (other than a laptop drive) that is larger than 40Gb.

Tony

Sorry, I don't know how (if?) you can restore that existing image onto the 40gig drive - I have always just used a drive larger than the original when I have done it.

Quote Originally Posted by catdog View Post
    Sorry, I don't know how (if?) you can restore that existing image onto the 40gig drive - I have always just used a drive larger than the original when I have done it.
    Mind if I ask what size drive you have used? I will feel a bit of a fool if I go out and pick up a second-hand 80Gb drive only to find out that is also too small.

I suppose my other option is to use the Philips image, get the source to ukchan30.o (someone in the Netherlands appears to have done this, though I can't find a trace of ukchan30.c anywhere) and alter the frequencies in there.

I am using a 320gig drive (I have also used a 120gig drive in the past, but I am not 100% sure if that was with the US or UK image).

You might be right about the 2.5.5 and 3.0 ukchan modules being different - after rummaging around my harddrive I found ukchan30.c and ukchan-2.5.5_nz.c (attached), which use different offsets. You should be able to change the frequencies (and sound settings) in the 30 file and recompile it. Note: I am not the author of the .c files, I'm not sure exactly where I got them from (probably these forums or oztivo.net wiki), and they may not be the latest versions.

Where in NZ are you located?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by catdog View Post
    I am using a 320gig drive (I have also used a 120gig drive in the past, but I am not 100% sure if that was with the US or UK image). <...> Where in NZ are you located?
    I went out and grabbed a 250Gb drive off Trademe, but -- terrifically bad luck -- it was a WD Caviar Blue, which I have now discovered cannot be used in a Series One TiVo at all. It's a shame because it was possible to get the UK image onto it, after some fussing about because my PC's BIOS didn't like the WD.

I might buy another drive, but it's getting hard to justify the money (and the time spent).

To answer your second question, I am in Wellington.

Thanks for the ukchan30.c.

Tony.