Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems with Thomson TiVo

There is a repository of NZ images here.

And instructions for NZ here.

Hope that helps.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jumbophut View Post
    I have a new problem now: the installer is failing on the mfsrestore command ("First target drive too small"). I'm trying to install to the 40Gb the TiVo came with. I guess this means that the mfs backup it is trying to restore was from a bigger drive.

Is there anything to be done about this? I don't have any drive (other than a laptop drive) that is larger than 40Gb.

Tony
    The drive will be locked, so the computer will only see it as an 8Mb drive. You need to use qunlock first, then restore the image to the CD.
    This only happens with the original drives, not with larger newer ones.
    If you take it out of the TiVo again, you will need to unlock it again.

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    There is a repository of NZ images here.

And instructions for NZ here.

Hope that helps.

Peter.
    Thanks Peter. I have tried the NZ Thomson image, though without success so far (backup MFS image used seems to be off a larger drive than mine).

Quote Originally Posted by Skolink View Post
    The drive will be locked, so the computer will only see it as an 8Mb drive. You need to use qunlock first, then restore the image to the CD.
    This only happens with the original drives, not with larger newer ones.
    If you take it out of the TiVo again, you will need to unlock it again.
    Thanks. Unfortunately this is not the problem. The knoppix-based install images automatically unlock the drive on boot and report the drive size correctly (40Gb). To be absolutely sure, I ran qunlock anyway from a boot floppy, and after going back into the Knoppix installer it still reports the drive is too small to do the restore.

Further evidence the drive is unlocked comes from the fact that I successfully installed the oztivo Philips image (which, although I could do the setup on my TV, didn't work because it uses ukchan30.c, which has hardcoded Aus frequencies).

I am going to give it one more try with an 80Gb HD that I am collecting tomorrow. If that doesn't work, using the Philips image and compiling my own ukchan30.c is a possibility. Or, alternatively, finding someone who wants a TiVo (there was a time, before children and a mortgage, that I might have persevered).

Cheers
    Tony

I may be able to arrange a swap for a Phillips or Sony unit with or without a PAL tuner if you are interested, and would otherwise give up on owning a TiVo.
    Other than the size of the image download, why are you not using the Thomson image? I have never used one myself.

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

Okay! I now have a working TiVo (used nz Philips Dec 06 image and tweaked RF output channel using iicsetnosub as described elsewhere in the forums).

Everything works except that Prime is on ch.50 (postcode 2124; 2112 gave me Auckland channels) and I need it to be on ch.60 (50 is static for me, but presumably not for people in some other part of Wellington). Is there an easy way to achieve this?

I may still try the nz thomson image tomorrow if it fits on an 80Gb drive, but at least I know it is possible to have a working setup with what I have now.

Thanks John for your post and all others for your help.

Tony.

You should have been given a choice of FTA region lineup during guided setup, maybe you missed it. If you are going to redo things again (with a Philips image) I would recommend using the latest OzTiVo v1.6.2 boot CD. It has the choice of the NZ emulator in the imaging menu. I found it to be more stable than than the v1.5 CD (on which the nzTiVo CD is based).

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

Quote Originally Posted by Skolink View Post
    If you are going to redo things again (with a Philips image) I would recommend using the latest OzTiVo v1.6.2 boot CD. It has the choice of the NZ emulator in the imaging menu. I found it to be more stable than than the v1.5 CD (on which the nzTiVo CD is based).
    If you read the first post, that would put him full circle! The problem is that the UK tivo does not use palmod as far as I am aware for the philips images. I guess Tony could copy the ukchan.o file from the NZ image he is currently running to his PC, reimage with 1.6.2, then copy ukchan file back over to overwrite the australian version.

I have success with the NZ Thomson image (2.5.5). It worked using a Samsung SP0842N drive which is nominally 80Gb, although a message scrolled past rather quickly about 'too small to expand' or some such (I'm not going to check it, because stuff is working and I might upset the delicate balance of TiVo nature).

Internal modem is working, telnet into box is working, sound is working, _all_ FTA channels are working, I can change the RF output channel. Excellent!

So, for the benefit of others who might try with a Series 1 UK Thomson TiVo (and hopefully summarising some of the good advice I have received in this thread :-)...

1. Use the NZ Thomson image from ftp://orac.caffeine.co.nz/install_images/. The long download will actually save you time.
    2. Make sure your drive is big enough (the 40Gb drive the machine came with will be too small; 80Gb worked for me, but apparently not all 80Gb drives are created equal; _avoid_ Western Digital Caviar Blue).
    3. If in Wellington and using the RF out, change your input channel from 60 to avoid interference from Prime. 30 works for me. Sound disappeared for a while after I did this, but some fiddling with the channel -- back to 60 and then back to 30 again -- and some time elapsed magically fixed this.
    4. Use the appropriate NZ Postcode from http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread....land-Postcodes. Mine was 02124 for Wellington. Remember to input the '0' at the beginning.

-- EDITED MUCH LATER: Note that there are daylight savings issues. You need to grab an updated zoneinfo file from ftp://210.48.107.133/install/Auckland.zip and to run the /hack/bin/set_NZ_Timezone_DaylightSayingsPolicy script. This is described in this thread: http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread....Incorrect-time --

It is possible to have a working TiVo with the Philips image (the NZ one) but in my case it required writing to registers using the iicsetnosub program to change to RF out channel in order to get reception on most channels. The iicsetnosub program is not there by default. It is available in this thread: http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread....d-from-PVR10UK. You may wish to put it on the TiVo drive when you image the drive (after exiting the installer, mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/tivo, then copy the file from a floppy etc. to, say, /hack/bin). This saves messing with ftp etc. later on.

It may be possible to have a working TiVo with the Aus Philips image, but I didn't succeed. Possibly the iicsetnosub magic will work for that one too, but I suspect it requires a hand-rolled ukchan30.o file.

Many thanks to all.

Tony
    Last edited by jumbophut; 01-04-2010 at 05:36 PM.