Thread: Using Latest OzTiVo 1.62 image on UK S1 TiVos

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Using Latest OzTiVo 1.62 image on UK S1 TiVos

I've been trying to use the latest OzTiVo (1.6.2 Phillips) image on my UK (Thomson) TiVo. Mostly it works well (certainly better than the time I last tried to set it up 5 or 6 years ago) and the additional features over the UK 2.5.5 image are great. However for me there is still one dealbreaker when it comes to enabling RGB on the SCART inputs.

Whem you use the TiVo myworld interface to set s-video output it successfully switches to RGB output on the TV scart, which is fine and exactly what I wanted. But when I do similar for the input setting from the set top box, it can't handle the RGB signal coming in very well at all. Either the scart input is not wired for s-video (or more likely my set top box doesn't transmit s-video on the scart) so all I can do is leave it set to composite as the s-video setting renders live TV unusable (Black and White and lots of snow/artifacts despite that I have it in PAL mode). The Composite input setting yields a watchable picture, its still only very mediocre due to the limitations of the composite input itself (lots of colour runs/bleeding, loss of sharp edges, dot crawl, etc.)

So what I have is a situation where the US image otherwise works perfectly, with all the menus are output nicely in RGB, but the set top box input signal displays in very poor composite quality rather than the RGB format that the UK image supports easily.

What I suspect I need to do is to somehow force the TiVo to "switch on" RGB input/encoding mode. I suspect that there may be an iicsetw command that will do this on the UK TiVo box, and I've been looking at old threads to undestand how this might work. eg: this old tivocommunity.com thread However many of the old threads on using iicsetw now seem to have been moved or lost and I cant find anything on what the parameters are. (Note that I did consider modifying Palmod_config to do this, but on closer inspection I think it does not actually do any input mode switching - I haven't actually been able to find the place in the code if it does.)

Has anyone tried to do anything with the iicsetw commands? Particularty around swithcing the input source? Or does anyone have any documentation on the iicsetw commands for the encoder chip, or know how to read the settings from an existing TiVo so that I can determine what they are?
    Last edited by Dave Hatt; 26-01-2010 at 01:32 PM.