Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question From a Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSymons
    What you can do is watch a previously recorded program from the TiVo while it's recording something else.

Cheers, Dave.
    This feature is awesome!

At first I was thinking "bummer, you can't watch live tv while it's recording something else" BUT once you actually start using TiVo you'll probably find that you don't watch much live TV at all!

Go for it, bring that little bundle of joy into your house and you'll never look back
    its not that im lazy, its that i just dont care

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSymons
    Hi Skiitz,

What you can do is watch a previously recorded program from the TiVo while it's recording something else.

Cheers, Dave.
    I'm going to try this at home tonight - is there a trick to it to make this work? Or is it just a matter of starting the recording, hitting the tivo button and changing to 'now playing' and choosing your stored previous recording to play?

Other cool thing I found out this morning is that the tivo seems to record live tv (on the channel you are watching live) all the time, so at any time during a live tv broadcast, you can hit pause, rewind, play etc....then fast forward to "catch up" to the live broadcast again. This would be handy for watching sporting replays etc when channel 9 doesn't show them

Hi Kinetic,

is there a trick to it to make this work? Or is it just a matter of starting the recording, hitting the tivo button and changing to 'now playing' and choosing your stored previous recording to play?
    No trick. It's just as you've described. Unless you actually tell it to stop recording it will continue to record while you watch other stuff or work with the TiVo menus. A good way to think about it is that the recording and playback functions work separately - unlike a VCR.

BTW for me it's so ingrained that it's bad for the tape to pause a VCR that I can't help but feel the same way when I pause the TiVo .

Other cool thing I found out this morning is that the tivo seems to record live tv (on the channel you are watching live) all the time, so at any time during a live tv broadcast, you can hit pause, rewind, play etc....then fast forward to "catch up" to the live broadcast again. This would be handy for watching sporting replays etc when channel 9 doesn't show them
    Yes - it will store up to 30 minutes of live TV. There are other benefits too - if you switch on your TV and it's 15 (say) minutes into a program you're interested in you can rewind back and watch it from the beginning.

Or you can hit the Record button and it will store what it's got so far (up to the last 30 minutes) and continue to record the program.

WRT replays - there is a button that will skip back 8 seconds and another that switches the TiVo to slow advance. In combination you can do your own slow motion replay.

But wait, there's more ...

I've had mine for 4 months and still marvel at the wonderment of it .

Cheers, Dave.
    Living Room: US Philips HDR112, Seagate 200Gb, OzTiVo Image v1.5 (20051128), CacheCard (no RAM), Kross STB
    Rumpus Room: US Philips HDR31202, Seagate 120Gb, OzTiVo Image v1.6, CacheCard (no RAM), Tuner Mod, Dual Input Mod
    Additional Hacks: Re-order Season Passes

once again.............
    thanks to all those who have helped