Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question From a Newbie

Question From a Newbie

HI all,
    I am new to this and have a few questions to ask.

1) How hard is it to actually get a tivo from the USA up and running?
    2) How long does it take?
    3) What is the approx cost of a tivo shipped to aust?
    4) What happens about the different power?
    5) Is it possible to buy a DVR here in aust and have it record foxtel digital?
    Finally
    6) Is it possible to buy tivo allready set up here in aust (second hand mabye?)

Thanks

I just bought a tivo in the last fortnight - and i'll try to answer your questions from one newbie to another :P I LOVE MY TIVO!!

1) How hard is it to actually get a tivo from the USA up and running?

A: Not very. Follow the Guided Setup doc at:
    http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie.../GuidedSetup30

2) How long does it take?

I would have spent a few hours all up...maybe half a day.

3) What is the approx cost of a tivo shipped to aust?

OK - I shipped mine from George at Eksys.com and the frieght was 1/3 the total cost (but I wanted it quickly

Total cost of the tivo in AUD: $370 - about $120 of that was freight (5-7 days). Get the ethernet card.

4) What happens about the different power?

The tivo can take aus 240v no worries - but you need to buy yourself a figure 8 appliance type cord from dick smith or tandy etc. Most video's use the same sort of cord. They are about $10.

5) Is it possible to buy a DVR here in aust and have it record foxtel digital?

Dont know - I dont have foxtel.

Finally
    6) Is it possible to buy tivo allready set up here in aust (second hand mabye?)

Maybe - but I doubt it. Once you get a tivo you want a second one ! (no one would *ever* sell one after they've used it!

All up i've spent about $500-$600 - including a new 120GB hdd (usa supplier sells them without hdd), cables, remote, hdd bracket etc.

Check this for basically what I did (this thread made me buy it!) :
    http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/ozt...ay/013084.html

Good luck!

Thumbs up

As yet another newbie, I'd agree with everything Kinetic wrote.

I got mine from george at eksys as well and couldn't recommend him highly enough. Awesome service!

To answer number five > Yes you can. But the DVR's here in Australia don't have an integrated electronic program guide. So it's like a VCR, you have to tell your DVR when to start recording and when to finish ( plus you need to ensure your foxtel STB is on the correct channel )

My Phillips TiVo from eksys came with an IR repeater so the TiVo automatically changes the channel on my foxtel STB as needed!

If you also want to receive FTA channels then you will need to replace the NTSC tuner from your American TiVo with a PAL one. Here is a link to the HowTo

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...odSamsungHowTo

The author, Darren King, can configure your TiVo for you and replace the tuner for you as well! This guy rocks and if you're like me and think it's all too daunting, then email Darren and he'll explain the process and cost for you.

Hope that helps
    its not that im lazy, its that i just dont care

thanks for the help guys

HI,
    one more question for Kinetic if you are still looking at this.

you said you got your tivo from eksys.com and i saw that they have series 1 tivos. do you know what is the difference between a series 1 and a series 2 tivo?

Thanks

difference between S1 and S2 TIVOs

Pretty simple.

The S1 works in Australia the S2 does not (yet)

Basically the Series 2 Units are a lot smarter (read faster processor and more memory) than the Series 1 - however the guys have not gone very far along the road of cracking them yet.

Stick with the S1 and if there is not enough grunt for you buy two of them !!

Craig

thanks for the help so far guys, i have one more question (i hope) and then i think that i will mabye look at gettin one.

Q) Does the tivo connect to directly foxtel cable or does it connect to the foxtel decoder and then from the tivo into the TV? Can you watch and record different channels?

Thanks for all the help so far

All I can tell you is my setup:

I've got my external antenna plugged into the vcr.
    vcr video out goes into the tivo.
    Tivo video output into the TV.

I haven't bothered getting the actual PAL tuner mod (yet...as described above), so i cannot plug my external antenna straight into the tivo.

I've had my tivo working since tuesday (now thurs) and its already proved really handy

Do it!!

Quote Originally Posted by skiitz
    Q) Does the tivo connect to directly foxtel cable or does it connect to the foxtel decoder and then from the tivo into the TV? Can you watch and record different channels?
    Hey - I jumped into Tivo even though I wasn't 100% about getting program guide data here in NZ, but had read all I could about the Oz set up - and that was good enough for me. (Subsequently some hard working guys in NZ have created this guide data, so it's a fully working system just like you'd have in Aus. From order to setup it took 3.5 days!
    I have a satelite STB decoder (sky) and this outputs the decoded signal via AV cables - which in normal circumstances would go to 1) VCR 2) TV you take the AV cables that would go into the VCR and take it to the tivo, which has composite (rca) or S-video connectors - 1 lot in and 2 lots out. The Tivo then connects to the TV by the composite or Svideo output.
    I think foxtel CABLE rebroadcast the FreeToAir channels like sky does, so if you have your FTA channels coming via the foxtel box so in this case you won't need the PAL tuner bit. You can't watch 2 different LIVE channels at the same time, as your foxtel box only can output 1 at a time, but you can watch something that's been recorded and be recording at the same time. That's what I do. And I can watch any of NZ's 4 FTA channels live also, just by going via the aerial tuner into the TV (I just can't record them also).
    Hope this helps, I know it's not specific to Aus, but there you go!
    Last edited by fixxer37; 06-08-2004 at 06:57 AM.

Hi Skiitz,

Does the tivo connect to directly foxtel cable or does it connect to the foxtel decoder and then from the tivo into the TV? Can you watch and record different channels?
    You connect the output from your Foxtel set top box (decoder) to the TiVo input.

You can't watch and record different Foxtel channels that are being broadcast at the same time - the TiVo will record whatever your Foxtel set top box is tuned to.

What you can do is watch a previously recorded program from the TiVo while it's recording something else.

Cheers, Dave.
    Last edited by DavidSymons; 06-08-2004 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Clarification
    Living Room: US Philips HDR112, Seagate 200Gb, OzTiVo Image v1.5 (20051128), CacheCard (no RAM), Kross STB
    Rumpus Room: US Philips HDR31202, Seagate 120Gb, OzTiVo Image v1.6, CacheCard (no RAM), Tuner Mod, Dual Input Mod
    Additional Hacks: Re-order Season Passes