Thread: TiVo Desktop codecs and wierdness

TiVo Desktop codecs and wierdness

Heres the story:
    I have a movie that I *acquired*
    I place it on my laptop (win7 ult x64) which runs tivo desktop, go to the tivo, click download etc, and the movie plays.

I have a fresh install of winXP (pro x86), which I installed tivo desktop on.
    I copy the movie to the winXP box, go to the tivo, click download etc, and the movie plays .. with no sound

I suspect TiVo Desktop requires some codecs to re-encode as it sends the file to tivo, any ideas?

if all else fails, I guess I can reinstall my garage "server" with win7, but I'd really like to know what the real problem is here.

Halp

I guess a simple test is to see if you can play the file with windows media player 11. If it has no sound, then I'd say you're right about it being a codec issue.

I am using the "K-Lite Codec Pack" with the default settings, which seems to work ok. (I'm sure someone else can recommend a better/newer codec pack).

problem solved .. I hadn't open windows media player EVER, so hadn't been through the "activation" (genuine advantage) bollocks

all is well now

nope . .too soon .. I still have stuff that has no sound once it reaches the tivo

so I upgraded to win7 yesterday, and I have the same problem !! gah!

TiVoHD does not make an easy media player so far

progress ....

here's the scenario
    I turn on win7 machine .. go to tivo, d/load something .. all is well.

I sit on my laptop, remote desktop to my win7 machine, disconnect, go to tivo d/load something, NO SOUND !!!

I go to win7 machine (physically) to discover the desktop is now locked (requires password to login), I login in, go to tivo, d/load something, all is well !!!

freaky.

the fix so far: disable remote login, turn off screen saver etc etc etc, so the win7 machine is always unlocked

I suspect that when windows locks, it also disables the sound card (power saving maybe?) and without a sound can tivo desktop can't transcode

Thoughts?

I take it this is windows remote desktop? MIght be doing some freaky things like disabling sound for bandwidth efficiency - check your remote desktop settings are for preserving sound. The Tivo agent might run in userspace (IE not as a service) and so be susceptible to the desktop options.

For the record, I have used WinVNC for remote console to a Windows XP box and this did not mess up sound on any transferred videos.

I have successfully transferred both AVI and MKV video, although with MKV the subtitle stream is lost.

Also, I have noticed that if your PC has a wireless network card with power efficiency enabled (IE 'disable card on inactivity') then this can screw up the transfers entirely.
    Steve Shipway
    Auckland, New Zealand
    2x S3 TiVo HD 320GB (FreeView) - Orcon Internet
    1x S3 TiVo HD 320GB - Power supply reparied, see how I did it here
    UK S1 TiVo - Needs conversion to TivoNZ - For sale

spot on .. I haven't done any further testing, but I have done some reading in the rdp protocol and how that may effect sound.

TiVo Desktop (software) DOES run in userspace, and presumably uses the sound card to transcode; when I RDP I redirect all sound functions to the machine I am rdesktoping in from, removing this function from the tivo machine (and therefore removing the sound card that tivo desktop software uses)

I have already installed a vncserver (coz the garage is sooo far away, and I must preserve my couch grown lard ars3 )
    This weekend I will try locking the desktop (from the console) and see what is affected, if anything.

Have you tried changing the RDP settings as CheshireCat suggested?

Under
    Remote Desktop Settings -> Local Resources -> Configure remote audio settings
    change
    Remote audio playback to "Play on remote computer"