Thread: Sound Problems when using the optical output

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sound Problems when using the optical output

I have connected my HD tivo to projector via HDMI (very nice picture)

Connected the audio via the optical output to my Yamaha amp optical input.

If the program is HD with Dolby all works fine. the AMP says Dolby Digital and decodes it fine.

The problem I am having is that other programs which output in PCM dont work. the sound cuts in and out. the AMP says PCM as the input type but the sound is choppy.

DVD/computer/cd optical outputs in PCM work fine just the HD tivo. does not work.

Audio from the L&R Rca works fine.

any one else see this.

It is a pain seeing the dolby digital works fine.

I would be happy if some how the optical tuned off if not Dolby digital so the amp would not see a signal and fail over to the Analogue L&R sound RCA.

At the moment I have unplugged the optical cable and just using the Analoge but seems a shame to miss out on dolby digital when it is there.

tried changing the audio option to PCM but then choppy sound on all programs.

Charles

Don't have the same problem here.

Have you tried forcing PCM as the output, just wondering if you still have the same issues?

Not a solution as you lose DD, but it might help track the issue.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Crackle View Post

tried changing the audio option to PCM but then choppy sound on all programs.

Yes tried that but then all programs have the issue including the HD dolby digital ones.

must be a incompatibility between AMP and TIVO.

It is a pitty there is not an option that says DOLBY or nothing on the optical.

that way PCM sound would come out the L & R audio ports and Dolby would come out the optical port

Charles

Sorry, missed the last line of your original post.

It works fine on my Onkyo Amp. Guess you will need to troubleshoot with TiVo.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Tivo support told me to set to PCM in audio options.

Which was not much help !!

I asked them if I could send in a feature request. they told me to post on the whirlpool forums !

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Crackle View Post
    I asked them if I could send in a feature request. they told me to post on the whirlpool forums !
    Actually as funny as that sounds it is indeed a good place to start. There are quite a number of the Hybrid staff as signed up members of Whirlpool and a few of them are very regular poster's as they have chosen to use Whirlpool for TiVo feedback given the very large user base over there.

You will find them lurking in several of the already running TiVo topic threads in the "Home Theatre" area. The Hybrid staff have the official user titles of "Hybrid/TiVo" against their user name. Won't be hard to find.

To help I have done a search for "TiVo" in that area and all the related threads are listed here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...h&f=126&q=tivo
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

I have a Yamaha RX-V663 Amp

I get dolby digital on Channel 70 HDMI and optical and all other channels come up as 2.0 rather than 5.1

If I change the TIVO setting to dolby digital PCM then all channels are 2.0

Any assistance would be grateful

Not all shows are broadcast in 5.1, you may want to call one of the other stations and ask which upcoming showings are 5.1 then record it so you can test if there is an issue.

Peter.