Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing guida data (Prime, MaoriTV)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Missing guide data (Prime, MaoriTV)

As you've heard, both MaoriTV and Prime have refused to allow TiVo access to their guide data for various reasons. I'm not to affected by MaoriTV but Prime is a nuisance because I'd watch it more if I knew what was on.

The TiVo guide just chunks it into 1-hour blocks and says to contact Prime or MaoriTV to ask for the guide.

My personal opinion is that Maori TV have refused due to their ongoing spat with TVNZ over the Rugby, and Prime have refused because Prime is owned by Sky, and TiVo is a competitor to MySky - although their official line is that TiVo prevents them from collecting viewing statistics, somehow.

Does anyone know what name/address we should write to in order to complain and/or request that the guide data be released? The only details I have for Prime are:
    0800 759 759 (SKY Customer service)
    SKY Television
    PO Box 9059
    Newmarket
    Auckland
    however it would be better to have it more targeted to an individual or department.

Also, does anyone want to co-ordinate a group petition to Prime and MaoriTV asking them to increase their viewership by playing with the TiVo users?

I've also found some inaccuracies in the guide, so far for TV3. Missing episode info (Dora the Explorer) is causing it to record the same show from both TV3 and TV3+1, plus TV3 seems to be starting about 5min earlier than the TiVo is recording. There's another program (Wipeout) being listed as Simpsons, too. If I've found this many errors so far Im a bit worried about overall accuracy (or how well the station keep to their schedules)

Steve
    Last edited by CheshireCat; 09-11-2009 at 04:08 PM. Reason: fix typos, add scheduling problems
    Steve Shipway
    Auckland, New Zealand
    2x S3 TiVo HD 320GB (FreeView) - Orcon Internet
    1x S3 TiVo HD 320GB - Power supply reparied, see how I did it here
    UK S1 TiVo - Needs conversion to TivoNZ - For sale

Emailling Sky

Can't find an address, however maybe this mechanism can be used?

http://www.finda.co.nz/business/list...il-advertiser/

This is Sky TV Corporate headquarters; address
    10 Panorama Road
    Mount Wellington
    Auckland 1060

I have sent them an email using the link above; here is the text (in case anyone else wants to use the same message or similar...)
    Re: Prime TV EPG and TiVo service

I am writing regarding the provisioning of the EPG for the Prime channel in New Zealand to the newly arrived TiVo service.

As you are probably aware, this is a DVR system (similar to MySky) for free-to-air digital channels only. However, it currently has an issue that the program listings for Prime are not available - queries to TiVo all tell us that we need to ask Prime (ie, Sky) about the issue.

I would appreciate some information as to the cause of the omission - is it technical, or political? Can we expect the listings to become available shortly? If not, to whom should the growing TiVo community address a petition requesting publication of this data?

If EPG data is not available to TiVo users, then Prime will only lose out as they will get fewer viewers as people do not know their lineup - and viewers will lose out as they miss seeing new shows they would not formerly have watched (the TiVo will pre-emptively record 'suggestions' from channels with EPG information).

I hope that you will be able to respond with some postive news,

Sincerely,
    Steve Shipway
    Auckland, New Zealand

The head office address and phone number are available on Prime's website:
    http://www.primetv.co.nz/Default.aspx?tabid=66

Code:
    Prime Television Offices

Head Office

SKY Network Television Ltd
    10 Panorama Rd
    Mt Wellington
    PO Box 9059
    Newmarket
    Auckland

Ph: +64 9 579-9999
    Fax: +64 9 579-8355

Thumbs up

Had a reply from Jill at Sky/Prime!

Unfortunately it was just to tell me that the various managers are out on trips and cannot yet be contacted and they are still trying, but props to Jill for keeping me updated. So, I've given my email address and hopefully we'll hear more soon.

If anyone is interested, you can email Target (the consumer show on TV3) on target@clear.net.nz and let them know the situation - enough people reporting it and they may investigate for January when the 2010 series starts.
    Steve Shipway
    Auckland, New Zealand

A further reply from Prime/Sky:

As per discussion with Jill, having our systems run with Tivo would not be possible as Tivo is not compatible with sky. Therefore, information, details and services for both companies will be kept separate at this stage.
    Basically, they have weaselled and are pretending I was referring to the Sky Satellite service rather than the Prime digital free-to-air service EPG. I have responded with a further clarification and we can see what comes back...
    Steve Shipway
    Auckland, New Zealand

I'd get in on something.

Paul.

Since I'm currently laid up with a broken leg (courtesy of a stupid car driver) I have some (too much) free time on my hands; I wouldn't mind collecting petition entries and submitting them. However I've not done anything like that before.

Only problems I can see are
    (1) we'd need a short, standard format letter that everyone could print, sign, and post to me for accumulation into a single pile for submission to Sky and MaoriTV, and
    (2) we really need to know the best place to submit this to rather than the generic customer service address.

I think the TiVo people would be all in favour of this and maybe help out with number (2). I can have a go at writing a petition letter but anyone with more of a legal bent might want to try instead? Also, once we have something ready, we can mention it to NZ Post - maybe get mentioned in there would help.

I'll try and get something started this week; once we have an open letter written, can start collecting signatures.

Steve
    Steve Shipway
    Auckland, New Zealand

Lightbulb

I asked TiVo about who to talk or write to at Prime; they just directed me to this page which only gives a phone number - 0800 759 759.
    However, these people then gave me the Prime TV office phone number, which is 09 414 0700, and their postal address, which is
    Prime TV
    PO Box 302193
    North Harbour Postal Centre
    Auckland
    So, I tried calling them directly. They said I should talk to someone at head office... eventually I managed to get through to a nice lady called Jill who took my number and promised to call back within 24 hours with some more details as to what the stumbling block is, and to whom we should address our petition. She's not the right one to post petitions to or phone directly, though, so I won't give her full name so that she doesn't get deluged with stuff.

From what I hear it would be very helpful if as many people as can register this question either on the Prime website, or via phone to one of the numbers above, as they have had "Several queries already...". If you send a letter to the above address, it should probably be addressed to "Director of Communications".

Once I get more info I'll post it. If I don't hear back then I'll let you know...
    Steve Shipway
    Auckland, New Zealand

Sky have now replied with "We cannot update this incident as you have not emailed us from the account it was logged with. Please log in online and update it"

Unfortunately I cannot login online as I dont have a username/password, and I cant register because it says my email address is "Already in the database". I cannot email from my logged email address as it is just a forwarding account for my main account.

Sky seem to be trying to weasel out of this one...

A couple of useful email addresses:
    target@clear.net.nz
    fairgo@tvnz.co.nz

These are for the New Zealand consumer affairs programs Target and Fair Go - they are off for Christmas, but are looking for some new material for the new year. I'm sure they'd love to investigate a rival TV Station
    Steve Shipway
    Auckland, New Zealand