Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Series 1 - power reset - lost all recordings

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    Agreed, but as there appears to be damage to the MFS also (missing shows), it would be best to try a spare drive first to test the hardware before wasting time trying to find all the areas that have been corrupted.

I personally would not want to use this image again. I would save the drive for attempting to offline copy the video files before it got any worse.

Peter.
    As my sister plans on getting a TiVo HD, and imaging a new disk for this one will take time (organising access to a suitable PC, for example, not as easy as it used to be since we had a big clean out at work), I'll retire this TiVo, extract the disk, and try (in the future) to extract the shows. I guess I'll add her disk to the one I took out of my TiVo two years :-) (and still haven't got the shows off)

Isn't there some sort of MFS utility that you can run to check for corruption, or would this damage the disk even more?

Thanks

Kerry

The main utils are mfscheck and fsfix, but they can both cause more damage. I would attempt to extract first.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

The main utils are mfscheck and fsfix, but they can both cause more damage. I would attempt to extract first.

Peter.

Thanks, Peter.

Kerry

Just some extra info, I must have done Guided Setup correctly after all.

My sister rang and said that she has a picture and guide data. The date is out. (I'm not sure by how much).

She has nothing in Now Playing, nothing in Season Passes and nothing in the To Do list. (all were populated before the power reboot)

I told her not to do any manual recordings, so that we can try to find her shows.

Thanks for the help

Kerry

Good luck, but don't fancy your chances.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Good luck, but don't fancy your chances.

Peter.
    I was at my sister's at the weekend, and she said "What's this on the TiVo?".

They were recordings of TiVo suggestions (so much for not doing anymore recording on the disk), which had "come back on" (I had changed the option to do not record when I setup the TiVo).

It looks more and more as if the TiVo had a wipe and reset done to it (ie all recordings, season passes, manual recordings wiped and options set back to default (beep when using remote, record suggestions etc)). All that had happened was it suffered a power reset. Very odd.

Anyway, we bought and setup a TiVO HD (with extender drive) at the weekend, she is very happy. Whenever I get around to trying to get my old recordings off my old drive (two years old now :-) ) I'll try hers as well, but as Peter had already surmised, I reckon all the recordings were wiped ;-)

Thanks again for the help and suggestions

Kerry
    Last edited by KerryC; 20-10-2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Correct spelling/grammer