Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Series 1 - power reset - lost all recordings

Series 1 - power reset - lost all recordings

My sister's Series 1 TiVo, with the 1.4 image, has lost all its recordings and has had its settings set back to the default USA ones (I think).

There was a power surge/blackout at her house last night when her niece tripped the safety switch. The TiVo rebooted, but came back with no recordings showing, and the internal tuner (installed by Darren) not showing (blue screen, no input source).

System information says:

TiVO Account Status: 0: Unknown, call 1-877-367-8486

The disk is still working, because the OzTiVO image boot screen appears, and TiVOweb is running.

Source input is still set to Coax RF in.

I can re-run guided setup, but what about her recordings? Should I run a MFS tools scan over it (telnet works). It seems like a corrupted directory.

Or should we just blow off the recordings and go and buy her a TiVO HD?

Kerry

In all my years working with TiVo's I have never heard this before.

There is no way the TiVo could revert back to the US Software as it should not exist on your Harddrive after you installed v1.4. Also TiVoWeb and Telnet would not work.

There are quite a few thing that it could be, and I am happy to help for a while to see if it is a simple fix.

Re-running Guided setup will not lose recordings, but they should be there now it was working ok.

Apart from the Blue screen, when you change channels are the correct station names coming up on the TiVo?

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

US server

I was amused to discover the other day when I redid guided setup on a TiVo that it had dialed the US server and was offering me lineups based on a US post code. I had had to enter the dial prefix during GS which was odd, so I wasn't really expecting it to work properly.

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    In all my years working with TiVo's I have never heard this before.

There is no way the TiVo could revert back to the US Software as it should not exist on your Harddrive after you installed v1.4. Also TiVoWeb and Telnet would not work.
    I agree, it's just that the System Information message "TiVO Account Status: 0: Unknown, call 1-877-367-8486" made me think that.

I ran Tivoweb and rebooted into PAL maintenance mode. The OzTiVo maintenance screen came up and it went automatically into guided setup. It's a 1.4 iimage, and the current guided setup instructions are for 1.6, so I had a few problems trying to work out what to put for two sources, first internal turner, second AV input. Eventually I worked out to use the 1.6 notes, but go for the menu positions (as the menu options have been renamed in 1.6. to make guided setup easier). I coulnd't work out what to do for the two sources (or anyway, it couldn't find a video signal) so went back to one source, the internal tuner. Setup went fine, calls home worked, but still no signal and no recordings. The antenna works, as it passes through the TiVo to the TV. So it looks like the internal tuner has blown, and the recordings are missing due to disk corruption.

She can live with the tuner not working (she was on the verge of getting a TiVO HD, so this is the push), but access to the current recordings would be wonderful (like a lot of us, her disk (250gb) was nearly full).

Thanks for the help.

As I'm back at my own PC, I may take this off forum to the mailing lsit.

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by KerryC View Post
    The antenna works, as it passes through the TiVo to the TV. So it looks like the internal tuner has blown
    The signal will pass through merely with power connected. There is no software involvement here.

As for the tuner being faulty ("blown") I doubt that very much. Never had a faulty one yet in hundreds fitted and although there is a slim chance it could be the tuner I can say that in 100% of cases people casting doubt on the tuner it has always been a software fault.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren King View Post
    The signal will pass through merely with power connected. There is no software involvement here.
    I guess what I meant from that is that the antenna (the source system) is working.

As for the tuner being faulty ("blown") I doubt that very much. Never had a faulty one yet in hundreds fitted and although there is a slim chance it could be the tuner I can say that in 100% of cases people casting doubt on the tuner it has always been a software fault.

Excellent. I'll go around tonight and re-run guided setup again. If I ignore the two source system (internal tuner and AV input) to keep it simple, could you remind me again how I setup for one source, the internal tuner? I used
    Menu choice 2 ("I have one choice" in 1.6, I think it's called Cable in 1.4).

The problem with the Set Your First Input screen in 1.6 is that I had problems mapping to the choices in 1.4. I probably chose the wrong one. I was given the lineups for Victoria, and choose Analog VI.

Does anyone have a copy of the 1.4 guided setup instructions?

Kerry

To be honest I can't remember what the terminology for the internal tuner was in 1.4. Memory is hazy with the progression of time.

Be aware, however, that if there is software corruption then simply redoing Guided Setup won't restore the inputs. I've had people before try it and don't get any joy, then think that it is hardware problem and seek advice, but upon a fresh install of the software everything goes back to normal.

May I suggest that you put in another temporary hard disk of "reasonable" size for day-to-day use, do a complete fresh install with 1.6.2 and get the TiVo going again, and then play around with trying to extract whatever programs you wish to save off the current hard disk.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

I agree with Darren.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

If you are getting a blue screen when selecting channels from the tuner have you checked/set the palmod tuner settings for you tuner (via telnet).

If there has been some form of data corruption the tuner frequency settings may not be set correctly.

Agreed, but as there appears to be damage to the MFS also(missing shows), it would be best to try a spare drive first to test the hardware before wasting time trying to find all the areas that have been corrupted.

I personally would not want to use this image again. I would save the drive for attempting to offline copy the video files before it got any worse.

Peter.