Thread: Sound problem

Cool Sound problem

Evening all, I'm new to the forum, but have had my Tivo about 9 months. This doesn't happen all the time, just every now and then. I can be watching TV and the sound will just cut out. I hit pause and then play or change channels and the sound comes back again. I can't replicate it at will, it just happens intermittently.
    Cheers
    Lance

Someone else on the forum has just been having a similar problem. Have a read of this to see if it helps http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=2195

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

I'm sure Lance is referring to a TiVoHD rather than a Series 1, although you are correct a hard disk *may* be a common issue here.

If it is a TiVoHD then first thing to try is force a network connection to ensure the latest firmware is downloaded.

Second thing would be to rescan the channels as there have been recent changes due to the introduction of GO and other minor tweaks on the digital platform.

Thirdly if the above does not help then the TiVo should still be within warranty if only 9 months old and therefore I would be contacting TiVo and initiating some sort of claim while still under twelve months old.

I'm gearing up to do out-of-warranty TiVoHD repairs and modifications but given that this one is still under twelve months old I would prefer the proper route of warranty claim is taken as I am not an authorised TiVo repair centre.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Oops didn't notice the category that thread was filed under.

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

Smile Thanks

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply, it's been a hell couple of months for me. Much to my surprise, I actually got a response from the Tivo tech support.

They had me set the audio to "Dolby Digital to PCM" from "Dolby Digital" and this seems to have done the trick as the problem seems to have gone away.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
    Lance

This seems to be an issue with TiVo HD and certain TV's/Amps.

While changing to PCM fixes it for most, you lose the 5.1 channel encoding that Dolby Digital offers on some material.

I'm not aware of any other fix, and unsure if TiVo are looking into the compatibility issues. It's not just Australian units that are effected. The 2nd batch of US TiVo's are have the same problem with certain TV's & Amps.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!