I bought Tivo from Harvey Norman, thinking that it would connect to my PC, then I found out and was absolutely disgusted to find that I have to fork out an extra 200 bucks to buy software in order to do that. I am now down the path of trying to get HVN to accept return of my Tivo on the premise that I was mislead by omission of this detail. - anyone won this battle ? Interested in other opinions..

I thought I might have a go at using Tivo Desktop which is supposedly free. But yeh the Tivo acknowledges that the computer server exists but you cannot browse the files !

Upon discussion with Tivo I get:
"Your TiVo media device will only display a Media Access Key after purchase of the Home Networking Package on the My TiVo account associated with your TSN. If you purchase the TiVo Desktop Plus Key for $39.99 AU, you will receive a TiVo Desktop Plus Key. You will not receive a Media Access Key by purchasing the 'Additional TiVo Desktop Plus Key' alone. Please note, purchase of the Additional TiVo Desktop Plus Key requires the Home Networking Package to be purchased and activated on your account. The Home Networking Package includes a complimentary Desktop Plus Key, therefore, it is not necessary to purchase the Additional TiVo Desktop Plus Key unless you intend to install TiVo Desktop on additional computers on your home network."

Really it is much cheaper to go to ChinaVision & get their media server, or get a XBox & hook into a PC with two tuners or even an LG network enabled Bluray player - without the unbelievable constraints on recording/sharing that Tivo has. I cannot believe that Tivo in Australia is so greedy in this regard, especially when it would be a common requirement.