Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maliling List vs. Forum Debate [was: cat anyone?]

Smile A Newbie's view

I may be coming in a bit late on this thread but having just joined the forums and got my TiVo working I also just read it.

I spent several weeks reading all the FAQ's and browsing this and other forums before making the jump and ordering my TiVo from the US.

While the FAQ's contain a LOT of information, sometimes it is not ordered in a way that a complete novice/beginner can easily comprehend.

I know I myself got a bad case of INFORMATON OVERLOAD. There was just to much information available on so many different subjects that I just didn't really know where to start. (even after going through the beginners FAQ)

I had never used mailing lists before, or searched in them either, so was not sure what to do there.

By asking a few easily answered questions on this forum, as well as reading through the stickied links threads I eventually felt confident enough to order my TiVo.

I agree with tenty that these forums are a great way (far superior to the mailing lists, as beginers tend to get a bit snubbed and just told to go off and read the FAQ's) for beginners to get the confidence to make that first move, as I did.

I will be helping people out on these forums where possible, by answering quetions that are within the scope of my currently limited knowledge and as that knowledge grows I will be able to help out more people.

Gary Giles

Hi Gary,

While the FAQ's contain a LOT of information, sometimes it is not ordered in a way that a complete novice/beginner can easily comprehend.
    This is an acknowledged issue and there are initiatives in the pipeline:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...teImprovements

The recent issues with Guide Data have (rightly) taken people's attention away from this. The logo poll is one of the initiatives and a sign that things are moving again.

I will be helping people out on these forums where possible, by answering quetions that are within the scope of my currently limited knowledge and as that knowledge grows I will be able to help out more people.
    That's the way. I was there in early April '04. I've learnt a lot since and have (hopefully) helped a few others out along the way.

Cheers, Dave.
    Living Room: US Philips HDR112, Seagate 200Gb, OzTiVo Image v1.5 (20051128), CacheCard (no RAM), Kross STB
    Rumpus Room: US Philips HDR31202, Seagate 120Gb, OzTiVo Image v1.6, CacheCard (no RAM), Tuner Mod, Dual Input Mod
    Additional Hacks: Re-order Season Passes

If you have noticed, Improvements are on their way and Andrew Palm has started to move things around and make things look more user friendly That has been shown with the new layout: http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view as well as the voted on logo. (PS. Logo nominations are closed already)

Cheers
    Ex Tivo Owner.
    Philips Tivo
    Version 1.3 Emulator Image from Minnie
    200Gig Western Digital HDD
    No Turbonet or Cachecard
    Slices: Cable Digital FTA