Hi Guys,

Contemplating the purchase of a TiVoHD - want two tuner capability. I have a second new (rebuilt) Series1 that would need an HD upgrade, network card and a tuner/settop box or I could just buy a TiVoHD. I see prices for the HD hovering around the $600 mark so think that might in the short and longterm be my best option.

Forgive me if I’m asking stupid questions about TiVoHD:

In the TiVoHD Getting Started Ports and Panels manual:

3 - S-Video Out
S-Video enables you to connect a cable that provides a high quality standard definition picture. []. It does not provide high definition video.

Q1. S-Video is analogue so do they mean when the TiVo is tuned to an HD source the S-Video out is disabled? Meaning TiVo doesn’t “convert” HD streams to SD/analogue? But then see next.

4 - Component Out
This jack enables you to connect a cable that provides a High Definition quality picture. This cable then connects to your TV or A/V system.[]

Q2. Again Component out is analogue and there really isn’t “HD” analogue is there? So TiVo apparently does “convert” HD streams to analogue? Yes?

I understand that Component video is better quality than S-Video and that in turn is better than Composite.

Q3. Nothing-is-FreeView has, so far, only required triple speed FF be nobbled; yes? Anything else? Supposedly uploading video to the PC in a format that could be burnt to DVD would also be deemed a no no by Nothing-is-FreeView?

Q4. Think I would like to back-up my virgin drive before connecting to the Aus TiVo service and probably every so often given updates can happen at anytime and I basically don’t trust Nothing-is-FreeView.. Basically what TiVo (mfg, US model, etc) is being branded TiVoHD here in Australia so I know what to search for in the way of utilities?

Q5. I understand we get full service when we purchase TiVo here in Australia (as opposed to the US requiring a monthly subscription). But, has anyone built a slice server - done their own guide?

Q6. What speeds does the TiVo ethernet support – gigabit??

Q7. The $99 HNP doesn’t allow recorded programs to be uploaded to the PC? Or are they just in a format that can’t be played except when put back on the TiVo? Is it likely that anyone will end up with a hack that would allow content to be burnt to a DVD?

So many questions, so little time.

Thanks guys for all your help in the past and in advance thanks for your help with TiVoHD in the future.

Cheers,
Phred