Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Tivo HD coming to NZ?

$699 is the RRP here. $650 is achievable almost anywhere. $600 is getting harder now. $699 or below with wireless included is also common.

When first released and Harvey Norman was the only place you could buy it, there were still deals to be had. This being due to each store operating as a franchise, so there was some discretion.

Do Telecom NZ only have company owned stores, or do they also have franchise stores?

Peter.

PS also worth noting Airmail to NZ is A$64.10 + insurance A$22.55 = A$86.55
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

have tivonz/telecom publish prices for the media access key?

Pete: whats the deal in aus? can you install tivo desktop and "upload" stuff to the tivo? (I have a *cough* rotating collection *wink* *wink* )

Also; I read I can plug in an external esata drive to increase capacity .. confirm/deny?

Cheers
    TA

Quote Originally Posted by TerminalAddict View Post
    have tivonz/telecom publish prices for the media access key?
    No, but I have requested this information from Telecom (via their website).

Also; I read I can plug in an external esata drive to increase capacity .. confirm/deny?
    If you buy the official one. Tidier and cheaper to upgrade the internal drive (might void your warranty though).

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

Quote Originally Posted by Skolink View Post
    If you buy the official one. Tidier and cheaper to upgrade the internal drive (might void your warranty though).
    I assume Telecom will sell the WD/TiVo branded drive. The TiVo is programmed to only work with certain eSATA drives. Until TiVo is sold in NZ we will not know if the US or AU drives will work with it. The 500Gb US drive is not allowed to work with the AU TiVo HD (but 1Tb is).

If you replace the Prom on your TiVo, you can hack the software to allow other eSATA drives to be used.

But I agree with Skolink, upgrading the internal is a better and neater option.

Pete: whats the deal in aus? can you install tivo desktop and "upload" stuff to the tivo? (I have a *cough* rotating collection *wink* *wink* )
    In Aus if you buy the "Home Networking Package" you can use the TiVo as a media centre and playback your 'collection'. TiVo Desktop is not the best for this though, Streambaby is a better option.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Thanks for that .. took me all of 3 mins to get streambaby running on my debian box !

I found a pretty straight forward article on upgrading the drive. dd from one to another, then mfstools the bigger drive ... has anybody in aus tried something like the seagate 2tb?

Can't wait to try it .. I have approval for the purchase from she who must be obeyed as well

I found a pretty straight forward article on upgrading the drive. dd from one to another, then mfstools the bigger drive ... has anybody in aus tried something like the seagate 2tb?
    Not all mfstools work correctly with TiVo HD. The easiest upgrade path is using winmfs (for windows users) or mfslive cd (both from mfslive.org)which has the correct tools.

The current apple file system used by TiVo will not allow more then 1.3Gb (from memory). If the prom is hacked, and a custom kernel & file system used then 2Gb is possible.

Peter.

Just reading though the TiVo Nz Faq's, I have seen some things that have been added since I was there last:

Can I use a TiVo media device from Australia/USA?

No, the TiVo media device has been specifically adapted for the New Zealand market.

By December 2010, all of the current Australian TiVo devices will receive a software update that allows them to work in both countries.

So it looks like early adopters are not going to be able to use an Australian TiVo.

What if I am not a Telecom customer? What do I get?

A non-Telecom broadband customer can buy a TiVo media device and they can enjoy all features of the TiVo except the broadband content and services.

Edit: So it looks like the extra broadband content is available only to Telecom customers.

This basic service includes the 14-day on-screen TV guide (Electronic Programme Guide), the ability to view the Freeview|HD® channels and core DVR features of the TiVo media device.

NZ is going get a 14-day EPG. This was also promised in Oz but became only 7-days a few months before release. I hope NZ is too close to release for this to be changed now.

Also in the HD area it says:

TiVo will receive the HD versions of TV ONE, TV2, and TV3, but please remember you need an HDMI cable (sold separately) connection between the TiVo and an HD Ready TV to receive a HD resolution picture.

This is not the case in Oz, HD signals can be watched via either Component or HDMI. I believe this is just a mistake on the website.

The website does have some details on the networking upgrade, but not price or release date. It also does not mention anywhere on the site the size of the Hard Drive or hours of recording the unit can do. Nor the availability of any expander drive.

Peter.
    Last edited by petestrash; 12-10-2009 at 01:10 PM.

I received some info about the NZ launch.

"The TiVo media device will launch in NZ with at least a 160GB hard-drive which will hold approximately 120 hours of standard definition or 40 hours of high definition recordings."

So at least we know you won't be getting a smaller hard drive , but it does hint at the possibility of a bigger one...

"Recommended Retail Prices (RRP) Price (including GST)
    TiVo Media Device $899.00
    Wireless Adaptor $89.00
    Home Network Package $129.00

Telecom will, at launch in November, be selling a bundle of the TiVo media device and the wireless adaptor for $920 including gst.

Telecom will also offer a deferred payment option of 24 monthly payments of $30 plus an upfront initial payment of $200 (incl GST) which can be placed on your Telecom phone bill. This payment option will only be available to Telecom Broadband customers."

Most of this was known, except I don't recall anyone mentioning the price for HNP which is $129. Bought separately here it is A$199, which makes it a relative bargain in NZ. Though you can buy it for $100 if bundled with a TiVo when buying from TiVo (not retailer).

Peter.

I have to say as soon as they said Telecom only for broadband content I unsubscribed from their list and will look elsewhere. I don't have a phone line and don't want one and want to keep my superior cable internet and ISP thank you. I think the effort involved in setting up a custom box is looking better all the time with all these restrictions on features and services. Even myskyhdi is looking better than TivoHD now.

Free internet traffic

Would you really use the video-on-demand or pay-per-view feature though? I doubt I will so I don't really care that the TiVo internet traffic won't be free on my TC Cable connection. (I also have no analog 'phone line'). It will be the price of the box which might mean that I'm not queuing outside a Telecom store, but will wait till I'm next in Oz or Telecom drop their price.

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2