Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Tivo HD coming to NZ?

I have to say I agree with you Skolink - you still get guide data with other ISPs (and it shouldn't effect the home networking package either). The extra "features" like pay per view that are available to Telecom customers are things that I am unlikely to use.

I will be interesting to see what happens when you load an Australian purchased box with a NZ image

Wanted,

Just to clarify, you don't need a phone line or have to be with Telecom.

You do need an internet connection (from any ISP). As long as the TiVo can connect via Ethernet or the wireless adapter. This generally rules out Dial-Up, though it is technically possible to use it for guide data and not much else if you have a router.

The benefit you receive from Telecom is that that they will not be counting the usage for anything used by the TiVo. The TiVo receives it's EPG data and Software updates via the Internet as well as extra content (unsure exactly what will be available in NZ).

All the downloadable content is available from any ISP, but with Movies here ranging from 1.5Gb-3Gb on average, you may have issues with excess charges or reaching your limit if you are not with Telecom. EDIT: this is not correct. It appears at launch downloadable content will not be available to customers who are not using Telecom

The TiVo is still fine to use for it's main purpose recording FTA TV, which only uses a small amount of data for the EPG.

It's still early days for TiVo in NZ. After a period of exclusivity by Telecom the free downloads may become available from other ISP's also.

Peter.
    Last edited by petestrash; 12-10-2009 at 01:08 PM.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

phone lines

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    Just to clarify, you don't need a phone line or have to be with Telecom.
    Peter.
    Pete, our reference to the phone line is because Telstra cable is the only broadband internet option in New Zealand that does not require you to pay for a phone line also.
    Even the so called 'naked DSL' plans incorporate a fee to Telecom in their charges, and are only marginally cheaper than phone+ISP charges.
    I'm not sure what the situation in Australia is, but we digress..

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

Quote Originally Posted by Skolink View Post
    Pete, our reference to the phone line is because Telstra cable is the only broadband internet option in New Zealand that does not require you to pay for a phone line also.
    Cool, but this does not agree with Wanted's comment about his non Telecom ISP.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanted View Post
    I don't have a phone line and don't want one and want to keep my superior cable internet and ISP thank you.
    But it's not just cable I'm talking about anyway. You could use wirelessbroadband or satellite to provide the service as long as you had a router.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Skolink View Post
    Pete, our reference to the phone line is because Telstra cable is the only broadband internet option in New Zealand that does not require you to pay for a phone line also....
    Gah thud !!

Not true .. for 5 years I helped run (technically) a broadband only ISP, that did not use a phone line at all .. .that company has now turned into wired country (the company got bought out)

I still have two phone numbers in my house, and "proper" broadband, with no twisted pair copper cables from telecom coming into the house.

I will be buying a TiVoHD .. and I will be getting broadband content

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    The benefit you receive from Telecom is that that they will not be counting the usage for anything used by the TiVo. The TiVo receives it's EPG data and Software updates via the Internet as well as extra content (unsure exactly what will be available in NZ).

All the downloadable content is available from any ISP, but with Movies here ranging from 1.5Gb-3Gb on average, you may have issues with excess charges or reaching your limit if you are not with Telecom.
    Are you sure about this? I information I got said that you can use the FTA and EPG side of things but the broadband services are Telecom only. It looks to me like you can't access that content without Telecom not just the data not being charged. In my case I WOULD be getting charged because I would need to pay for the phone line with the change of ISP.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanted View Post
    Are you sure about this? I information I got said that you can use the FTA and EPG side of things but the broadband services are Telecom only.
    Your right, it looks like the game has changed.

TiVo have changed their FAQ to include:
    What if I am not a Telecom customer? What do I get?

A non-Telecom broadband customer can buy a TiVo media device and they can enjoy all features of the TiVo except the broadband content and services.
    I did not notice this had changed when I posted one of the earlier posts. It had originally warned that you may be charged for excessive downloads by other ISP's...

Even though TiVo will still work well as a PVR with any ISP, this is an unreasonable requirement especially if they are expecting ongoing revenue through content.

With current broadband limits in NZ I can understand why they have launched with this system. The last thing TiVo needs 1 month after launch is a backlash from customers about the extra charges or throttling from their ISP due to excessive downloads.

TiVo here did not have any downloadable content at launch, but brought it in ~6 months later.

I hope the Telecom ISP requirement for extra content is only temporary so that the TiVo is accepted as a media device in NZ.

Peter.

Since I don't really intend to access any downloadable content, it doesn't bother me overmuch if it is unavailable, but it seems uncompetitive if they actively block non-Telecom users from accessing it (after giving appropriate usage warnings of course). Many other ISPs can opt to zero-rate certain sites (and probably would, as otherwise they'd lose out competitively). It would also be a marketing blunder for Tivo as they would be providing a disincentive for non-Telecom customers (and of course Tivo's marketing arm have never made any mistakes in the past, have they? )

I still have a vague hope that 'will not be able to access' on the website is marketing speak for 'will not be able to effectively access as it wont be zero-rated', and it will still work. I'd be interested in getting definite feedback from new NZ Tivo users with different ISPs as to how well it all works for general reference.

I've waited 6 years since leaving my Tivo in the UK to get a working Tivo here. I don't want it being crippled by anti-competitive practices on the part of Telecom.

(on a separate note, mr moderator, can we split this single monolithic thread up into separate issues?)

Quote Originally Posted by CheshireCat View Post
    I've waited 6 years since leaving my Tivo in the UK to get a working Tivo here.
    You do realise that these forums are mainly dedicated to people using US Series 1 and UK TiVos in Oz and NZ? I've had a TiVo for 5 years. If you are in Christchurch I'd be more than willing to help you to "get a working TiVo". I even have a spare one at the moment.

Edit: just saw your signature on the other thread - you're in Auckalnd

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

Pity you didn't bring your UK Tivo with you

They work like a charm with a little work