Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Austar Flinders / Mystar Advice

Hello,

I am still alive !!

For several reasons I have not had much spare time of late, which was why I have not been around much.

I have finished the 2 prototype converters.....both of these have been sent out to anynamebuttpg & Netmedic.... I hope they report success with them.

Once we establish that these 2 units will work successfully I fully intend to make up a circuit board, and make these available to anyone that wants one...either fully made up and tested, or as a kit.

I have purchased around 25 Austar Remote Controls, in anticipation of making up a run of 25 units.

Hopefully the guys mentioned above will have some success over the weekend.

P.S....I'm still using the hacked up hybrid remote control with veroboard stuck on with insulating tape on my Flinders box.....I haven't made a proper unit for myself yet !

Regards,

Bruce

Hi Bruce nice to hear from you

Glad to hear you are sorting it all out. If the transplanted Flinders remote chip design works well enough then probably no need to spend time to refine it any further.

As has been mentioned in reply early on in your postings: Feel free to run with this. No need to think you are stepping on anyone's toes.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

OK,

I've heard back from anynamebuttpg in regard to the translator I sent him. It seems to be working fine; so I've finally finished the PCB layout, and sent off the gerber files to get it made. Here's what it ended up like (it's very low resolution to get the file size down under 97.7 Kb). I ended up keeping the original optocouplers for each button, as it proved more relaible.....for the few extra $'s on parts it proved to be a faster and less messy option, as the chip from the remote control was deigned to accept inputs from conductive rubber and screen printed carbon ink !! I should have some units made up and tested in early April.

Regards,

Bruce
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for that Bruce.

Once your ready to go, feel free to drop a note onto the OzTiVo Mailing list also.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Just a note to let everyone that is suffering from the Austar Flinders problem, BruceP has done an exceptional job. Being the first to receive and test his device I can say, it is changing channels on the Flinders box with more accuracy than the supplied remote control.

There was no issue in setting the device up, in fact I had it installed, re setup my IR codes in guided setup and had the whole thing running in under ten minutes. Since I have again enjoyed the use of my Tivo in its full form.

Thank you very much for all your work Bruce, please accept this commendation from myself and on behalf of those that will also get the benefit from your translator in the future.

PS: Rather than requiring payment for this prototype model that was supplied to myself (which frankly looked so professional that it could be hardly considered a prototype), Bruce instructed my to make a donation to Oztivo for the running of the server, which I shall do now. Another reason to hold Bruce in high esteem.

An excellent IR converter

Sorry to say I'm not the first to use BruceP's converter.

However I must concur that it is a great device and very reliable. In particular it seems to work wherever it is placed! No messing about trying to find a "sweet spot" to position the IR blaster.

After hours and hours of trying to get other methods to work, and fiddling about programming my pronto with timers and macro's to record stuff in the middle of the night, I really can't express my gratitude to BruceP enough!

BruceP, could you please send me your address so I can offer you something in return for your hard work, and public spiritedness in sending the converter for me to try out!

Best wishes

Netmedic.

Thanks for the feedback on the translator guys. Much appreciated.

The PCB's have arrived, and I made up 2 units over the weekend. I'm glad to report that there were no errors in the layout, and it worked first go. I will list them for sale in the Trading Forum in the next few days if anybody needs one...just have to work out a case etc, and of course.....price.

Regards,

Bruce
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice, once you have the details finalised also send a message to the OzTiVo mailing list.

Peter
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Smile Small suggestion

This looks very professional, with it's surface mount technology!

It ought to be a relatively simple process to mount the pcb inside the tivo case after picking up a suitable power source, and then wire it directly to the IR blaster socket on the rear of the tivo.... hence dispensing with separate case and power supply.

Just a suggestion!

Best wishes

Netmedic.

BTW. Brucep: I didn't get a reply to my request for your details so I can send you a token of my appreciation for providing me with the prototype converter. Please correct this so I can make things right! ;-)

H Brucei:

Just had Austar HD tuner installed yesterday and after one day my, Series 1 Tivo will not synch with the Austar HD tuner. Can I purcgase your fixed remote?

Note: I can access all features of the Series one except change the channels on the Austar HD. Can you help me?

Regards,

Lance