Thread: HD etc advice

Question HD etc advice

Hi,

I just made a large investment with a nice big HD TV etc. Currently have Saturn Analog and it looks pretty bad (not a surprise but it does look bad). I'm looking into Freeview HD which I doubt I can get because of my house location. Does anyone have any advice on what I should look at? Does Sky or Saturn Digital look better than Analog? Is Freeview HD still looking ok after going through the Tivo conversions? Should I be looking at MySkyHDI to replace the Tivo? Any advice or stories from personal experience appreciated.
    Last edited by Wanted; 03-12-2008 at 12:04 PM.

I can't offer much advice as I am still using SD through Tivo, but Freeview HD PVRs are now coming to the market, although with a pretty high price tag at the moment (e.g. Zinwell ZMT-640PVR). Hopefully it will come down in price when other manufacturers release competing PVRs.

MyFreeviewHD

Maybe wait and see what the official Freeview HD recorder is like
    http://freeviewnz.tv/myfreeview/
    Looks like it will have some TiVo-like features, and use the over-the-air EPG to record stuff. Demo pictures imply interface will be pretty basic, but I've yet to see a recorder other than TiVo that isn't rudimentry. The neighbours are getting MySkyHD next week so I'm going to have a play (not that I'd consider getting it).

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

The thing with myskyhdi is if I do away with the rubbish movie channels I currently pay for and make a couple of other changes it will cost the same or less than what I pay Saturn now. I just wish Telstra would hurry up and announce their HD plans but they are saying February now. HD via the cable would be perfect PVR or not.

That Freeview PVR looks like it could be good but the down side is I may need to get the non-HD freeview and then there is also loosing the couple of cable channels that are ok like UKTV and the Box...

Managed to get FreeviewHD yesterday only just enough signal with an amplifier but looks good for now. We'll see what happens when the weather gets bad. Wow, looks so nice compared to the Saturn analog signal through a TiVo. If Myskyhdi can deliver picture quality like that for prime etc I may be tempted (the rent option not the pay 3 years in advance for nothing option). Still, I think i'll try and wait for February and see what happens with Saturn's HD plans (HD TiVo please ) and see what happens with the Freeview PVR's too.