Thread: UK Tivo question..

Lightbulb UK Tivo question..

Currently helping someone out with a thompson UK tivo and just have a couple of questions.
    1- Do I use the UK image from Oztivo and do I need to run palmod once imaged.
    2- can I use the serial connection out of the Tivo to go straight into a Router or does this have to go to a com port on the pc and then the router picks up this connection and assigns an ip via DHCP.??

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by clyne
    2- can I use the serial connection out of the Tivo to go straight into a Router or does this have to go to a com port on the pc and then the router picks up this connection and assigns an ip via DHCP.??
    The serial connection has to make a com connection, and I dont think the router would know how to communicate via serial. I could be wrong. My setup however is from TiVo to the com port of my windows 2k PC via serial. My 2k box assigns the DHCP to the tivo.

Cheers
    Ex Tivo Owner.
    Philips Tivo
    Version 1.3 Emulator Image from Minnie
    200Gig Western Digital HDD
    No Turbonet or Cachecard
    Slices: Cable Digital FTA

Thanks for your reply tenty, I guess I should have asked first how the hell do you go through guided setup with this uktivo first.
    For a start it will not connect through the serial port to minnie to start the guided setup <connection is fine, ping etc> so I am stuck there as you cannot go past this without a connection.
    can't find anything on Minnie about guided setup with a uk tivo, If I can get through this then I will certainly be writing this as it is far too frustrating without any doco and sparce posts in the mailinglist.
    HELP.....

hi

sorry i dont know enough about the images yet to help you on the first one.

but with regards to the comms... the only routers i know that support serial only support serial comms on the outside, not on the local network. how about getting a network card for your tivo? sounds like it would fix the problem, or i might be missing somethere here!

or you could buy a serial to ethernet adapter. they are about a buck each but you need to know the tivo serial pin out to get the wires right.
    its not that im lazy, its that i just dont care

Have been advised to goto the US 3.0 image and apply a few hacks to get this going so will have to go down that avenue first.
    Again thanks for your help.