Thread: Success with IR translator for Austar Flinders

Success with IR translator for Austar Flinders

As mentioned in my earlier post (slowing down learned IR codes). I have been in the process of making up a hardware translator to allow the TiVo to control the Austar Flinders box.
    I'm pleased to say that it has been working flawlessly for almost a week.
    I am now designing up a circuit board for this unit, as time permits. And I hope to post the details of how to make a unit here in the coming week or so.

The unit I have made receives the Oztivo Sony IR codes 30035-Medium (thanks to JimLeitch), and then uses this information to address the corresponding button for Austar Flinders box (using the custom chip from a replacement Austar Compatible remote).

As mentioned before, it is by no means an ideal solution, and will not suit everyone. A software patch/module would be far far cheaper (free?) and a more elegant way to solve the problem. The circuit board also will have to use the fine pitch surface mount “Custom” IC from the replacement remote…..so it’s not something you can just bang together with a birko plumbers soldering iron.

Regards,

Bruce

That's fantastic! Glad to hear you have had success with it.

I am sure that although what you say about not an "ideal solution" there will be people out there willing to give it a go
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

That's great new's, but does sound like it's a bit beyond most people's ability.

Would you consider making them for others?

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Sorry for the delay in getting back.

Yes, it crossed my mind to make them up, but I don't want to ruffle any feathers, or be seen as making money off the back of all the great work that has made Oztivo what it is. I would rather share all the information, as I am sure that in time there will be a far better solution than what I have put together.

I'm still yet to design up the PCB, but I've built the second unit on veroboard today to trial further. Here are the pics (It's a bit rough)

Regards,

Bruce
    Attached Images Attached Images

There are no toes to be steped on as no one has tackled it from a translator point of view.

As long as pricing is kept in a community spirit I certainly don't have any objections to you selling them.

I assume the TSSOP20 board is carrying the chip from the remote, so that makes this version now stand alone.

Do you plan the output to go just to an IR emitter placed near the TiVo or though an optocoupler to the IR jack on the back of the TiVo?

Peter
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Just a thought on the translator concept.
    Does the flinders box have a serial input/control port?

Ref: http://forums.oztivo.net/showpost.ph...0&postcount=10