Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Failed. Service unavailable

Thanks,

The problem is not with our system, but probably with DNS servers as you suggest.

These things usually come right in a day or so. The changes I have suggested are only
    for people who need to get it sorted now. Everyone else can just continue as they were and it either does not effect them or will come right on it's own.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Just as a silly question.
    What if someone made the change to the oztivo.conf file and put it back in the tivo without changing the file permissions back and now cannot seem to connect with putty into the tivo?
    Not saying any names

Any suggestions appreciated
    Justin

TivoHD w/1tb "update"
    TiVo SVR2000 unit w/200Gb Seagate, Turbonetcard & Dlink-810 wireless bridge, FTA Strong STB. Latest image 1.6.###

Assuming you are talking about changing the network card address setting and your router does not report what that is then you have two options:

1. Easiest is to use a serial cable to access a telnet session with a PC running a terminal program (ie hyperterm or similar) and make the changes.

2. Put the TiVo hard disk into a PC and boot the oztivo install CD. Do not reimage, but simply go into the network setting menu and change the setting from there. Save settings, remove and reinstall hard disk back into the TiVo.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

thanks for responding Darren.
    But, since all I did was change the setting in oztivo.conf to the IP address and then overwrote the file, without doing anything else, I assume I have to reset the files permission or the tivo system cannot use it - is that first asssumption correct?
    (I do have the serial cable, etc)
    If that is correct, how do I change the file permissions with hyperterm and what do they need to be?
    sorry for the many questions

Also, just to clarify, all I did was replacing www.oztivo.net with 65.49.60.197 in /etc/oztivo.conf. I didn't change anything else
    Justin

TivoHD w/1tb "update"
    TiVo SVR2000 unit w/200Gb Seagate, Turbonetcard & Dlink-810 wireless bridge, FTA Strong STB. Latest image 1.6.###

Justin, by file permissions do you mean rw/ro or did you use chmod?

Also did you edit the file on a PC or the TiVo.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    Justin, by file permissions do you mean rw/ro or did you use chmod?

Also did you edit the file on a PC or the TiVo.

Peter.
    I just made the changes on the PC with notepad and saved and transfered. I stupidly didn't think to correct the permissions (and I am assuming thats why I can no longer telnet or tivoweb into the tivo).

I had planned to get in through serialPPP but just found out both the notebook and the cable serial ends are female so I have to purchase an adaptor tomorrow.

Once I get in with the serial cable (assuming I don't need oztivo.conf for serial to work) I wasn't sure what would be the best way to change the file permissions so things can continue on....

Is the easiest way hyperterm and then somehow get to the directory and chmod 755 or something?
    Justin

TivoHD w/1tb "update"

Justin,

You should never edit a file on your PC as most programs will cause errors in the file when put on your TiVo unless precautions are taken.

It has nothing to with permissions, but from extra characters added to the file (mostly ^M for carriage returns).

It may be a simple matter of just running dos2unix on the file, but at the moment you will have no access to the TiVo until you either remove the drive or use a serial cable to get access.

If you get access try dos2unix /etc/tclient.conf then reboot.

Peter.

We use Bigpond and for some reason DNS would not resolve www.oztivo.net.
    Changing the /etc/oztivo.conf file line from www.oztivo.net to 65.49.60.197 did the trick for our Tivo's. Once the file is changed we needed to reboot and then make the daily call.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hutch235 View Post
    We use Bigpond and for some reason DNS would not resolve www.oztivo.net.
    Changing the /etc/oztivo.conf file line from www.oztivo.net to 65.49.60.197 did the trick for our Tivo's. Once the file is changed we needed to reboot and then make the daily call.
    Thanks.
    Hi Hutch, welcome to the forums. Your suggestion has already been tried, see post #9

Try replacing www.oztivo.net with 65.49.60.197 in /etc/oztivo.conf reboot and try again.
    Please read the threads before posting, but thanks for trying.

Peter.

Justin,

You should never edit a file on your PC as most programs will cause errors in the file when put on your TiVo unless precautions are taken.

If you get access try dos2unix /etc/tclient.conf then reboot.

Peter.
    I will not use the PC again to modify a file - lesson learnt.
    I connected through a serial cable. When I ran the line (with hyperterminal) you gave me the output was:

[TiVo [S3] ~]# dos2unix /etc/tclient.conf
    dos2unix: converting file /etc/tclient.conf to UNIX format ...
    dos2unix: problems renaming './u2dtmpa00323' to '/etc/tclient.conf'
    output file remains in './u2dtmpa00323'
    dos2unix: problems converting file /etc/tclient.conf

I then, after rebooting, did ifconfig but it only showed the local connection and not the ethernet (not sure if it means anything).
    I am still unable to connect through my network. Also when the tivo rebooted it didn't provide a message on the tivo screen (TV) showing its IP. I then did the nic_config command and it returned nothing in the current config. as if it didn't have one.

Oh, what have I done?
    What would you suggest?

thanks,
    Justin
    Justin

TivoHD w/1tb "update"