Thread: ABC1 ABC2 and ABC HD Season Passes

ABC1 ABC2 and ABC HD Season Passes

Does anyone have a recommendation of how to set up my Tivo Season Passes to record ABC shows and pick up the HD versions from ABC HD when they are available? There seems to be limited content in HD but it happens sometimes (Captain Cook: Discovery and Obsession).

I thought the answer was to choose all my ABC1 programming from the ABC HD channel thinking that it always showed ABC1 content. Unfortunately now the Paralympics is now showing on ABC HD (from ABC2) instead of ABC1.

Thanks, Cindy

Unfortunately there is no way, it will all be over in a couple of days.

Peter
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

I think there is a way, but it's not very convenient. Create two season passes for the show - one on ABC and one on ABC HD. Make the one on ABC HD the higher priority.

That works and you record both shows regardless of content, but with the limited size of the standard hard drive you fill the TiVo very quickly.

I couldn't keep up with it when It still had the standard drive and not double recording.

I'm not sure if you realise the problem is that the TiVoHD guide for 20HD still has ABC1 programming, and not the paralympics. So the order of season passes is irrelevant.

Peter
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    I'm not sure if you realise the problem is that the TiVoHD guide for 20HD still has ABC1 programming, and not the paralympics. So the order of season passes is irrelevant.

Peter
    Here is what Tivo had to say about ABC1 and ABC HD:

Hi Cindy,

ABC HD has, since its inception, been a re-transmission of ABC1. However, ABC has informed us that there will be some different programming on ABC HD in certain instances in the next few weeks as they migrate across to transmitting a separate service. Unfortunately ABC is unable to provide a separate HD schedule to reflect these differences at the moment. This is temporary, ABC is endeavouring to provide a HD schedule, and it should be up and running within the next fortnight or so.
    We’ll confirm with ABC the extent of difference between ABC1 and ABCHD.

Thank you,

TiVo Support.

Then yesterday they wrote:
    The Electronic Program Information (EPG) for ABC HD in Brisbane has been fixed.
    It will take some time till you see this change reflected on your EPG. By tomorrow the information
    should have been updated.

Well it hasn't been updated yet and I think tonight is the end of the Paralympics so I guess I just wait to see if it is all back to ABC1 programming or really something different with a separate program guide.

Cindy

The ABC website still does not mention anything about programming on 20 at all.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    I'm not sure if you realise the problem is that the TiVoHD guide for 20HD still has ABC1 programming, and not the paralympics.
    I didn't realise that. However, if the guide data is correct, the two SP trick does what you want. It only records the higher priority show. It rejects the other showing using the 28 day rule. At least, this is my experience. I have recently tried this on a show on Ten/TenHD.

I assumed the 28 day rule was partly broken, I often have the same episodes recorded off both regular and HD as suggestions. They can be either recorded simultaneously at different times.

It won't work in this case, but good to know for other applications.

Peter.

It must depend on the guide data. If it's not accurate, TiVo can't identify a show as being a duplicate.

With my S1 TiVo, I've had quite a few duplicates recorded recently. Sometimes during the same day, because of Foxtel's habit of running close-spaced repeats.

The 28 day rule relies on matching the ShowingObject. We are at the mercy of the uploaders for Foxtel, and if no episode name is entered we cannot match it to a specific ShowingObject, so a no title episode is used and repeats will be recorded.

This is not the case with TiVoHD however, as the duplication only seems to effect suggestions. Tivo are looking into it.

Peter.