Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: missing links for beginners

missing links for beginners

Since I can currently offer no technical wisdom but only seek it, I thought it may be useful to provide feedback as I go through a series 1 install using this site. Hopefully this will be useful if perhaps piecemeal.

On trying to find out how to install a network card I found this (offsite) link defective

http://www.silicondust.com/turbonet/...rdware_sa.html

on this page

http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view...etworkingHowto

Im currently searching for an alternate write up on how to do it . . .

(if this isnt useful, someone please tellme to stop ! But since I cant update the links myself I either ignore the error or write it up !) :

Then on this page

http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view...AnEthernetJack

this (again offsite) link doesnt work which would have been good for a beginner :

http://www.eklecticsystems.com/turbo_install.html

but the write up on the linking page is just the job !
    Last edited by NerdCat; 03-09-2008 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Additional info

Thanks for letting us know. I will re-write those pages.

All both of the links showed was where to install the network card. But really once you have the case open it is quite clear as there is only one place for it.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Terbonet installation

http://www.planetmain.com/ was written by Doug who helped me develop my card.

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

Ah nice pictures, thanks for that link !

Yes I agree Peter, it's pretty obvious once you open it. Im just the sort of guy that likes to read first in case I break something and then find a post saying "dont to it this way". !

Anyway, all done now, thanks.

And on the topic of helping out (for newbies like me), Ive now come across failure to do the first daily call (I can telnet, get web access, ping all through my router, through which other PCs happily connect to the net), and finally discovered the proxy issue (yes, Im with TPG !).

After reading many posts suggesting searching for "TPG PROXY" and the like, I finally found what may be solution here :

http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view...entProxyServer

I made the change it suggests to oztivo.conf. But in tclient.conf I failed to find the second IP address suggested, and the first one was already in there.

Does this mean the first solution suggested is invalid, or has already been implemented (but in that case I should already be able to connect, which I definately cant), or is it partially implemented and I just need to change oztivo.conf - actually no, the connect just failed again !!

Ill try the second solution suggested I think ..... better change oztivo back first I guess ...

Further to the above, having abandoned solution 1 (as above), solution 2 also has me puzzled. It looks like EmuProxyZA is on the box as standard, which is good. But on editing emuProxyZA.conf, the comments therein clearly state that any change to serverip will be ignored. Yet solution 2 is telling me to change serverip in that file ? Hmmmm.

Also if I look in sysinit.author I see the use of emuProxyZA (or 2 or 3) is controlled by the setting of a variable. But my unix is far too rusty to figure out where it's set.

Im wondering if Ive picked the wrong solution writeup ? I cetainly think I may be barking up the wrong tree (woof) !! ????

Ah, so now Ive jumped back up a page and seen that solution 2 should already be implemented (since I have the latest image). Maybe this isnt a proxy issue at all then, but all other networking works .... and it even fails with myrouter firewall turned off (which logs no errors anyway).

Guess Im in serious need of some help here !!!!
    Last edited by NerdCat; 03-09-2008 at 05:23 PM. Reason: further investigations :-)

Because not everyone updates their TiVo's to the latest software, there are many different ways of doing the same thing.

For the current version,

Just make sure 3 of the lines in oztivo.conf have:
    timing=16
    emulator=www.oztivo.net
    emulatorport=9090

Then reboot and try again.

Don't worry about emuproxyZA settings for now.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Skolink View Post
    http://www.planetmain.com/ was written by Doug who helped me develop my card.
    Thanks for the link, I had forgotten about this one.

I have used it in the wiki for now.

Also just for correct credit, from memory that site was actually made by Jim in the UK. He bought Terbonets from Doug in Canada, before making them himself.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    Because not everyone updates their TiVo's to the latest software, there are many different ways of doing the same thing.

For the current version,

Just make sure 3 of the lines in oztivo.conf have:
    timing=16
    emulator=www.oztivo.net
    emulatorport=9090

Then reboot and try again.

Don't worry about emuproxyZA settings for now.

Peter.
    Thanks for the reply Peter. Maybe I did too much reading to try and sort this out (7 hours so far !), but I can see that recent changes would make some of the posts outdated.

Anyway, I made the changes you suggested - no change : "failed. Service unavailable".

Ive added some further info below which may or may not assist you in assisting me !! :

• I use TPG ADSL2+.
    • Proxy test says : The proxy host is syd-pow-pr2.tpgi.com.au which has ip address 202.7.166.164
    • The Tivo is getting out to the net as I can ping out to the web (the above address for example).
    • Im using OzTiVo version 3 release 1.6.2 on a sony 2000.

Ive also attached a putty log of the files involved in the posts Ive been looking at - if only for completeness because I firmly believe Ive put them all back to original state !

On the trivia side, to reboot the box when its stuck in maintenance mode is there a cleaner alternate to simply pulling the power ?

many thanks again . . . Im so close yet so far ! By the way the install process and documentation thus far was fantastic. Couldnt have been easier, and I was up to this point within an hour of opening the box ! What a great bunch of enthusiasts there must be to put it all together !
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by NerdCat View Post
    On the trivia side, to reboot the box when its stuck in maintenance mode is there a cleaner alternate to simply pulling the power ?
    You can issue the command reboot from a telnet session.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren King View Post
    You can issue the command reboot from a telnet session.
    Thanks Darren. Im ashamed I didnt guess that really !!!!

All I need now is Peter's wisdom to get past the first call screen. Im almost excited !!

Ok, to start you can also reboot easily from the Messages & Setup > System Reset > Restart the Recorder screen on the TiVo itself (I'll add it to the Docs).

First, just want to confirm that you have rebooted and then tried a daily call after doing the edits.

tclient.conf looks fine, but might try something different later.
    oztivo.conf looks fine.
    rc.sysinit.author looks fine, but there are too many lines to be certain. What did you originally change in this file?
    emuproxyZA.confk should be called emuproxyZA.conf, so unless it is a typo this may be the cause.

If the above doesn't fix your issues, let's check just how much you can do so we can confirm that it is a proxy issue we need to fix and not a more fundamental networking problem.

Please run through these tests so that we know your TiVo can talk to the outside world.

Peter