Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: missing links for beginners

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    Ok, to start you can also reboot easily from the Messages & Setup > System Reset > Restart the Recorder screen on the TiVo itself (I'll add it to the Docs).
    I dont understand how to get to that option though ? The box is always booting in maintenance mode because I cant make the first daily call ?

First, just want to confirm that you have rebooted and then tried a daily call after doing the edits.
    Yes. I rebooted from Telnet as Darren suggested.

rc.sysinit.author looks fine, but there are too many lines to be certain. What did you originally change in this file?
    Looking at this file again, I realise I didnt actually make any changes. I was following option 2 as per in http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view...entProxyServer. But I realised they didnt make sense with this version of rc.sysinit.author because the emuProxy version is controlled by variables and not by commenting out.

emuproxyZA.confk should be called emuproxyZA.conf, so unless it is a typo this may be the cause.
    I dont know how that k got there. Maybe something to do with the putty log capture and backspace/delete ? I can confirm that emuProxyZA.conf exists in the correct location :

[TiVo [p0] ~]# ls /hack/etc/
    blocklist.txt cron.d emuProxyZA.conf resolv.conf
    blockpatt.txt crontab emuProxyZA.conf~ trickey.conf
    [TiVo [p0] ~]#

If the above doesn't fix your issues,
    Unfortunately the box is still stopping at "first Daily Call" with attempt failed. I did notice that when I use the web interface under 'phone' to attempt the first daily call it eventually hangs on 'setting Up'. Does this just mean its in maintenance mode ?

[QUOTE=petestrash;13366]Please run through these tests so that we know your TiVo can talk to the outside world.
    /QUOTE]

All of these tests are still fine (according to me anyway, so Ive attached a log file in case Im fooling myself !).

The nic_config_tivo utility doesnt give the stated results with DHCP, so default gateway and the like are missing. But Id expect that when using DHCP wouldnt I ? Plus I can do everything network wise, so it must be OK. emulator port is ow 9090 not 80 of course.

Ive attached a screen dump in case Im fooling myself again.

Hmmm. What next . . . .

Thanks for your help this far, and it has confirmed my own amateurish diagnosis that I can network in and out and to the web which is a small comfort in the meantime !

An update from today's ongoing efforts :

As reported below a previous proxy test reported a proxy being in use. When I try again today the same test reports different results :

The request appears to have originated from host 220-244-85-247.static.tpgi.com.au which has ip address 220.244.85.247

but following the instructions the additional test reveals the use of a transparent proxy.

I have also tried adding 60.49.60.197 www.oztivo.net to the hosts file as per another post re PG and transparent proxies. No luck there either
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by NerdCat; 05-09-2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Updates from today's ongoing attempts

Ok, since you cannot enter the menu to do a reboot, I think you may be using the wrong terminology which has thrown me off.

I thought that you had completed setting the TiVo up, but were having problems with the daily call. But, I think that you still have not completed the setup menus on your TiVo (also known as Guided Setup or GS) and that this is where the call to the server is failing?

If that is the case then it is not a daily call you are trying to do. A daily call can only be made once your TiVo is fully set up (not an issue just need to know where you are at).

I this is correct, I would like you to edit /etc/tclient.conf (remember to make it read/write first).

Currently the last line has the following:

127::127.0.0.1:8000:::
    Can You please add a # to the start of the last line and then add 2 extra lines so it looks like this:

#127::127.0.0.1:8000:::

Use a direct call to the new server

127::65.49.60.197:9090:::

then make the TiVo read only again and reboot.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Sorry, Im such a newbie ! Correct, technically speaking Im still in Guided Setup and on the screen "First Daily Call". I think it's the reference to "daily Call" here that has caused me some confusion. So, the box has never made a daily call (first or otherwise) and Ive never been out of maintenance mode because Im still in GS.

So I made the changes so the end of the file looks like this :
    # 127::127.0.0.1:8000:::
    127::65.49.60.197.9090:::

I have left in the earlier change you told me to do (port 80 to 9090).

I did post results earlier saying "no dial in number chosen". But that was due to a typo in changes which I cut and pasted - of course it presumably shouldnt be 127::65.49.60.197.9090::: but 127::65.49.60.197:9090:::.

Ive corrected that and it now still says "Failed. Service Unavailable". Although not good it's better than dial number not specified because Ive not even dreamed of using a modem, let alone configuring one !

So just to be sure, this is how tclient.conf looks now :

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~= PuTTY log 2008.09.06 10:44:37 =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
    [TiVo [p0] ~]# cat /etc/tclient.conf
    # Copyright (c) 2001 TiVo Inc.
    #
    # This file contains entries for each of the possible service
    # instances supported. The fields are all ":": (colon) separated
    # and are as follows with the folling meanings:
    #
    # labelhone_number:svr_addr:svr_portpp_userpp_pass:radius_domain
    #
    # labelThis is a 3 character numeric field which must
    #unique identify this entry (the /Setup field XXX
    #will point to this). Note the value 911 is reserved
    #to imply the Addr.itcl *_EMG_* fields. (i.e.
    #emergency repair port). Note the value 000 is
    #reserved to imply the Addr.itcl *_DEF_* fields
    #(i.e. the default port).
    # phone_numberThis is the full phone number to dial, minus any
    #prefixes defined by the phone options screen
    # svr_addrThis is the Ip Address of the service to connect to
    # svr_portThis is the TCP port number of the service to
    #connect to
    # ppp_userThis is the username to connect to the ppp modem
    # ppp_passThis is the password to connect to the ppp modem
    # radius_domain This is the radius domain to put after the generated username.
    # If ppp_user is set then this will have no effect.

#
    # This is the default port, it's values come from Addr.itcl not here
    #
    000:
    # Dennis' Emulator
    126::66.23.218.193:80:::
    # This is for the server emulator on minnie. Trouble if your ISP blocks HTTP .9
    #127::131.244.9.101:80:::

# This uses emuProxy2 to avoid problems with transparent proxy. Thanks Tim!
    # 127::127.0.0.1:8000:::
    127::65.49.60.197:9090:::
    [TiVo [p0] ~]# exit
    logout
    Last edited by NerdCat; 06-09-2008 at 10:47 AM.

And here's tclient.log for good measure.

It's probably not relevant yet, but I notice the time on my box is out and ntpdate fails with
    failed to connect to 132.163.4.103.

But maybe that's an unrelated problem for later.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Success !

OK, Ive sent more time reading and pondering what's going on. Suddenly it dawned on me to check my firewall. I suppose I was mesmerised my the excellent guided setup I forgot all about thinking for myself !

So now the setup call is progressing as I type ! Hurray !

Thanks for your help thus far Peter

If you have time, I would like to understand what the change you recommended was actually doing and why it didnt work prior to that ? Or maybe my firewall was always the problem ?

Also, not that I care at all, more out of interest, why did I need to make the update manually rather than it being automatically configured as part of the setup. Is it something to do with my specific setup ?

It's very strange, the tests I asked you to perform should have picked up a problem with your firewall. maybe only port 37 was blocked. I don't even know if it looks for the time during the first setup call, that could explain it.

As for the change to tclient.conf, all that did was bypass emuprozyZA in case it did not work the particular proxy that TPG was using.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Smile

Thanks Peter.

Well the tests definitely worked, and I havent even opened up the firewall for several months - so nothing changed inbetween ! But the block was there in the logs - I picked it only 'cos I knew the IP address the time update was using.

With the "fix", can you tell me where my understanding needs "adjustment" please.

The emuProxy are a method of altering data that goes via the web so that an ISP's proxy will pass it ?

So the tclient entry you gave me tells the TiVo not to use emuProxy at all by specifying a particular IP address, right ?

But I already know that my ISP (TPG) uses a proxy.

Does this mean that TPG's proxy just happens to work with OzTivo ? Might I otherwise need emuProxy ?

Ive just read a lot about transparent proxys, and TPG (and others) and seen loads of workarounds . . . so Im just trying to understand what is being worked around.

If there's a post that explains the essence of what's going on, that might do the trick. I just hate putting in a fix (to anything, car, PC, wife etc) if I dont understand how and why it works . . . .

The trick is that TPG are only caching data to port 80, so by using port 9090 in tclient the TPG cache does not intercept it and emuproxyZA is not required.

In theory you could return tclient to it's original state and it should also now work using emuproxyZA as you have opened the firewall.

Peter.

Ah, I see now.

Presumably though that isnt common, otherwise OzTivo would just switch to port 9090 for all outgoing requests and have no need for emuProxy at all ?

Or isnt it that simple.

And the IP address you said to put in, that's unrelated to the failure to connect and is simply pointing at the correct new server ?

We plan to standardise on 9090 in the upcoming image. and emuproxyZA will not be enabled. But emuproxyZA is required for some ISP's even to allow the call to a time server to go through.

The IP address is just that of the new server, and by putting it in tclient.conf bypasses emuproxyZA and other settings.

Peter.