Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Nz Tivo!!

Ok, good luck!

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Just a further thought. If I got two TiVos, how do I control them separately? My Integra amplifier solves the problem of having two like pieces of gear in the same place by having three sets of codes built in. So I simply set the second one and it's remote to code set 2, and then I have no problems controlling each separately. But I doubt if the TiVo has this facility (especially Series 1)?

I'm assuming those of you who have more than one, site them in separate rooms and also watch recordings in those rooms so that all control is local and doesn't interfere with other TiVos you have. Is this correct?

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Stott View Post
    But I doubt if the TiVo has this facility (especially Series 1)?
    It most certainly does. You can have up to 9 actually.

Easiest way is to set one to ID number 1 and the other to ID number 2 and then get a Series 2 remote that has a little switch on it that you can select between unit 1 and 2. You can also do it with Series 1 remotes but to do it easily you need to have two remotes. One Series 2 remote is more elegant.

For more info see here: http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view...iVosInSameRoom
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

If I got two TiVos, how do I control them separately? My Integra amplifier solves the problem of having two like pieces of gear in the same place by having three sets of codes built in. So I simply set the second one and it's remote to code set 2, and then I have no problems controlling each separately. But I doubt if the TiVo has this facility (especially Series 1)?
    Tivo (even series 1!) have this option too
    http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view...iVosInSameRoom

Edit: Too slow, Darren beat me to it!

Excellent. How could I have doubted TiVo? Oh me of little faith.

David

Ah well. Maybe I'm just not supposed to have a working TiVo.

Have now done the reimage thing and putting disk into PC, booting up with Aug06 image and going through each of the setup menu options seemed to work fine. But putting disk back into TiVo, connecting all cords and plugging in power brought up "Your Recorder is starting up. Please wait a moment ..." and there it sat refusing to budge. Tried to Telnet in via Putty with no response and ditto vie IE7. Gave it 15 minutes with no change, so tried unplugging and replugging the power cord. Same result.

Things I could have done wrong:

1. I gave it the old network address of 192.168.0.111. Maybe I should have left it blank.

2. I changed the Tuner settings to Phillips instead of the Samsung default.

3. ???

Any ideas?

A possible clue is that trying to do a backup beforehand using WinSCP failed after spending time getting the directories. It then started to do the copy but quickly failed (after about 20 seconds and 2MB copied) with missing files and that soon deteriorated into a loss of the connection. Tried this a couple of times and it just kept failing at the same point. Starting to sound like a corrupt disk?

David

Starting to sound like a corrupt disk?
    Tivo's just don't handle any disk errors whatsoever.

I would suggest testing the disk using the manufacturer's utility. The easiest way is to use:
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    It has all of them.

I think a problem disk is unlikely at this stage, it still would have gone beyond the prom screen.

That screen normally stays there if there is no drive attached.

I would first check that you have the Drive's jumper set to single drive master, and that the power and data cables are securely attached at both ends (drive & MB/PSU).

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Yes . . . well . . . ahem . . . cough, cough . . . shuffle of feet, etc.

Technically, my description of what I did is correct. I DID put the disk back into the TiVo. What I DIDN'T do, is connect it up. Seems to make a difference. (And in my defence had worked this out before Peter's message just now.)

1. However, fixing that small oversight, and plugging power cord back in had it coming up with Guided Setup OK but failing as before at the Connecting . . . step with "Failed. Service Unavailable" as before (but after 3minutes rather than the previous 16).

2. Putty'd in with no problem, and Pico'd /etc/postcodezones. Noticed that 02110 is missing so added that and tried again. No change.

3. Did a Full Restart (closest thing I could see on the new menu system that looks like a Reboot), which finished instantly (a bit suspicious that), and tried again but no joy.

4. Unplugged TiVo and plugged it back in. Browsed to TiVo and used SysAdmin/PAL-NTSC/Set PAL Guided Setup Mode which produced:

TiVo set for PAL Guided Setup. Please reboot.

root=/dev/hda4 runideturbo=false TV_STD=PAL GS=1 GS=1

Tried Full Restart but it really doesn't seem to do anything (doesn't even change the screen from the failure message) so unplugged power cord and plugged back in and it ran through GS again. No change.

5. Used SysAdmin to Set PAL and then SetPAL Guided Setup Mode (gets rid of the double GS = 1 at the end but don't suppose that matters). Used Pico to look at tclient.conf and found following:

126::66.23.218.193:80:::
    # This is for the server emulator on minnie. Trouble if your ISP blocks HTTP .9
    #127::131.244.9.101:80:::

# This uses emuProxy2 to avoid problems with transparent proxy. Thanks Tim!
    127::127.0.0.1:8000:::

# NZ legacy
    126::210.48.107.133:80:::

# NZ develop
    128::210.48.107.133:8888:::

So now I need to know if there is anything I should change there.

a) The file is tiny compared with what was there before. Hope this is a good thing.

b) I note two live lines with 126 in them and referring to port 80.

c) Line 127 is the revised line that Wibble originally mentioned for getting around a proxy.

d) rc.sysinit.author does have the correct corresponding line

emuProxy2 -s 210.48.107.133 -p 8000 &

So that's probably all correct.

My next plan is to take it to a friend's house who has a different Telco and ISP to eliminate network issues as a cause but guess I'll have to go back into the reimage process to change over the network address to blank.

Have also downloaded Wibble's Ultimate Boot CD and will use it to test disk.

Unless anyone has any other ideas?

David
    Last edited by David Stott; 20-09-2008 at 02:29 PM.

2. I changed the Tuner settings to Phillips instead of the Samsung default.
    If your TiVo has been modified with an internal PAL tuner and you intend to use it as your program source I suggest you change this back. No, it does not affect your current connection problem, but not changing it back will mean you won't see anything via the internal tuner with it set to Philips. The brand of the internal tuner has nothing to do with the fact you have a Philips branded TiVo.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!