Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Nz Tivo!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Stott View Post
    with the 4.1.1 version of the .iso file copied to it
    Ummm...no.

An .iso file is a complete images of what make up a whole CD all rolled into one file. You can't simply copy that file to a CD. You need a CD burning program that can load in the .iso file and burn the CD correctly. Most programs can do this and for example the program Nero is good at it. Try doing a Google for the phrase "burning iso files"
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Which of course is what I would have done when I burned the TiVo image to disk. Did I mention my memory is crap too?

OK did all that and ran tests for Western Digital which was DLG Diagnostic V4.15. The Quick Test produced "No errors detected.", but the Extended Test (which took just over an hour) resulted in "One or more errors were detected. Final Code for this drive 0356"

So is that it? I should just get a new (bigger) drive? If so, any recommendations? I see Pricespy have a number of 1TB drives for only about $200.

David
    Last edited by David Stott; 23-09-2008 at 03:50 PM.

Yes, it's failing while waiting for a response to the 411 request. I usually only see this on a daily call when the wrong options have been choosen.

Maybe you could tell us what you are selecting at each screen during setup, in case there is something obvious that is wrong.

Peter.

Edit: This was actually in response to post #89, looks like a few more came through since I loaded the page. I still do not think changing drives will fix this issue.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Ok Options I have been using are:

Source: Satellite (but also try Satellite and Cable as not sure of this one)
    Zip Code: 02110
    Time Zone: Eastern
    Daylight Savings: No
    Area Code: 002
    Phone Dialling: No

Also, I reimaged the file earlier this afternoon, correcting the IP Address to null as suggested by others and leaving the Tuner option to the default of Samsung, not that that makes any difference. The NIC is set to Turbonet 100MBit Wired NIC. The MAC address was left as the default as was the Host Name (and I realise I will need to change these two with the new TiVo arriving tomorrow). I then did the disk testing referred to in my last post, and have just now put the disk back in the TiVo and rebooted.

Running GS, still brings up the same old error.

Note also that there is still the issue of hardware errors on the disk which may or may not be affecting things.

David

I'm not in NZ, but reading the FAQ try using just cable as your source.

Also to setup DHCP it is not enough to just blank the IP address, you need to re-run nic_config_tivo.

Again, I wouldn't worry about the drive errors for the moment.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

What is nic-config-tivo? I've never run it (or seen any reference to it in the literature) so not sure how to "re-run" it?

Also, trying to browse into the TiVo to bring up the online menu (and changing to 192.168.0.8 which the Router tells me it has now asigned it to) it now is asking me for a login name and password. I don't recall having to enter these in the past so what the hell do I do now? NB Putty gets in just fine.

David
    Last edited by David Stott; 24-09-2008 at 02:42 PM.

Just type nic_config_tivo in putty (note _ is used not -) this will bring up the network settings menu, the same as you used when you ran the installer CD.

For the TWP username enter oztivo and no password.

Have you tried using only cable as the source as I suggested?

Peter.

OK did that with the following result:

[TiVo [p1] ~]# nic_config_tivo

TiVo TurboNet/AirNet/CacheCard on Tivo Configure - 20041218

Copyright 2002-2004 Silicondust Engineering Ltd. All rights reserved.

Detecting TiVo hard drive...

Detecting TiVo partitions...
    Active kernel partition = /dev/hda3.
    Inactive kernel partition = /dev/hda6.
    Active root partition = /dev/hda4.
    Inactive root partition = /dev/hda7.
    Var partition = /dev/hda9.

Determining software version...
    Philips HDR Series Stand Alone TiVo running 3.0-01-1-000

Remounting root partition...
    Root successfully remounted as writable.

Checking installation type...
    Configuring TurboNet installation.

Checking script...
    Complete.

Current/New Configuration:
    timing setting = optimal
    mac address = 00:0B:AD:10:10:10
    ip address = dhcp
    ip subnet mask = dhcp
    ip gateway = dhcp
    debug level = off

Options
    1: Change timing setting
    2: Change MAC address
    3: Change IP address/gateway
    4: Change debug logging option
    9: View/extract log file
    0: Apply and exit
    !: Exit without saving

[0..6]?
    [TiVo [p1] ~]# nic_config_tivo

TiVo TurboNet/AirNet/CacheCard on Tivo Configure - 20041218

Copyright 2002-2004 Silicondust Engineering Ltd. All rights reserved.

Detecting TiVo hard drive...

Detecting TiVo partitions...
    Active kernel partition = /dev/hda3.
    Inactive kernel partition = /dev/hda6.
    Active root partition = /dev/hda4.
    Inactive root partition = /dev/hda7.
    Var partition = /dev/hda9.

Determining software version...
    Philips HDR Series Stand Alone TiVo running 3.0-01-1-000

Root successfully remounted as writable.

Checking installation type...
    Configuring TurboNet installation.

Checking script...
    Complete.

Current/New Configuration:
    timing setting = optimal
    mac address = 00:0B:AD:10:10:10
    ip address = dhcp
    ip subnet mask = dhcp
    ip gateway = dhcp
    debug level = off

Options
    1: Change timing setting
    2: Change MAC address
    3: Change IP address/gateway
    4: Change debug logging option
    9: View/extract log file
    0: Apply and exit
    !: Exit without saving

[0..6]? 0

Updating script...
    Complete.

Clear the log file on the tivo [y/n]? n

Root successfully remounted as readonly.

Configuration update complete, reboot for changes to take effect.
    [TiVo [p1] ~]# reboot

I reran GS (using Cable) with no change in result. I haven't "cleared and deleted all" for a while since nothing has been recording. Should I still be doing this before each GS?

Separately, my second TiVo arrived today. Unfortunately, it only has wireless and presumably not configured for my router so I can't see it on the network. Should I simply buy a NIC for it (if so what type) or is there a way in via the image boot disk?

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Stott View Post
    I haven't "cleared and deleted all" for a while since nothing has been recording. Should I still be doing this before each GS?
    I thought that (well, for the Oz version of the image which I thought the NZ was based on) if you cannot successfully do a GS then the next time you boot the TiVo it comes back up to the start of GS. This is definitely the case if you reimage the hard disk and never complete a successful GS attempt.

As for your second TiVo: Do you mean that the network card installed is totally wireless, or is there a short network lead that plugs from the network card to a wireless adaptor?
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Ok, it appears that the NZ image uses the Silicon Dust nic_config_tivo, and not the OzTiVo one which I was expecting. They don't really do all the same things.

At this point it would be best if you could take your machine to someone who already has a TiVo near you and test it on their system to see if the problem is on your network or in the box.

Is there anyone in NZ who can help David? (you may want to start a new post for the request)

I wouldn't waste any money on getting a card for the new TiVo yet until you have the other one up and running.

The one thing you could try is using your existing network card on this TiVo and loading the Australian OzTiVo image then trying to setup as if you were in Australia? It won't work as a TiVo for you, as you will be getting Oz guide data and times, but at least we can confirm whether calls to our server work and if the rest of your TiVo is ok. This way if you still have network issues, at least I'm familiar with the tools and setup of our image and server. once we are finished you just load the NZ image instead.

Peter.