Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Nz Tivo!!

Ok, after a hiatus with the loss of the web site, I'm back into it. The update is that I am having exactly the same problems with my new TiVo as the old one, ie failing to connect (either with the previous owner's settings unchanged or simply changing those to my postcode). It's wireless but that's not a problem as it is now connecting to my router fine.

This definitely suggests NOT a hardware/software problem, despite my previous test from a friend's place in downtown Tairua which also failed in the same way. So I'd really like to test it out of town at someone's place who has a working TiVo. While I'm pretty sure no-one reading this is likely to live in Tairua, I will be going to Whangamata next Wednesday, and Auckland one day in the next two weeks.

The Auckland trip is entirely flexible so I could easily fit in with someone there who was kind enough to let me bring TiVo, Freeview decoder, and Router up to see if I could isolate which bit is failing.

David

David, can I suggest that start a new thread asking for assistance in those areas, as not many people are still following this thread.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Pete, one other thing. I sometimes have enormous difficulty just connecting to this site. My browser can take up to a minute or so to fully bring up a page like this one from the OzTiVo site - not always but often and this morning in particular. I do not have this problem with other sites. Does that indicate some possible problem with the link to the OzTivo site from the Coromandel? I know it doesn't seem likely but I'm trying to explore all possibilities and explain why my TiVo also failed at a friend's house (which suggests hardware/software problems with my TiVo) but the new TiVo also fails at home (which suggests the opposite, ie an ISP/network issue).

David

David
    Who are the respective ISP's involved at each residence in the Coromandel? Are they the same?
    David Hingston, Wellington, NZ
    Thomson TiVo, Cachecard 512MB, Samsung 300G, TWP 1.3.1
    Thomson TiVo, Cachecard 512MB, Seagate 320G, TWP 1.3.1
    Thomson TiVo, Cachecard 512MB, Seagate 320G, TWP 2.1 beta

David. No they are different as are the Telcos. At my house it's Vodafone/Ihug and at my friend's house it's Telecom/someone who's name I forget but a minor player. Which is why I say it would have to be Coromandel wide or at least Tairua wide to be my problem. This is why I want to test a) at a house where it's working and/or b) in Auckland. We are thinking of touring the South Island in November so if the problem is still outstanding, you may get a visit :-)

David

I haven't heard of anyone having the page loading issue that your having with this site, also haven't seen anyone in NZ having as many problems as you seem to getting a TiVo going.

The two issues do seem to point to a network issue either at your home or ISP.

Hopefully you can find someone in Auckland who can help out.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

One thing I don't understand is how my TiVo gets from 127.0.0.1 which is internal to my computer to 210.48.107.133 which is where I think the guide data is that my TiVo is failing to get a service from. A reminder that my error log looks like this:

Sep 30 14:30:28 (none) comm[155]: CommUtil: connection to host 127.0.0.1, port 8000, err 0x0
    Sep 30 14:30:28 (none) comm[155]: read 384 bytes of upload data for FourOneOneRqst
    Sep 30 14:30:28 (none) comm[155]: CommUtil: connection to host 127.0.0.1, port 8000, err 0x0
    Sep 30 14:30:28 (none) comm[155]: read 1934 bytes of upload data for HServerRqst
    Sep 30 14:33:25 (none) comm[155]: XferRqst timeout waiting to read

Is there somewhere else that this link is supposed to be being made?

Also, my cable guy suggested it might be a firewall issue but my router is set to allow ALL outgoing requests for service so that shouldn't be an issue.

David

Forget that. Of course it's via rc.sysinit.author. Been going over this so much, I'm going around in circles.

Have to test in another town, but no real hope of success. Very depressing.

David

Ta dah!

Just a quick post to say I finally have found a solution. Actually changed two things and not sure yet which was crucial so will do more testing and then report fully once I'm certain so that it may help others. Also, while past the first problem of not connecting, it's still not through the "4 to 8 hours" step so can't confirm that everything works.

David

Sound promising, keep us informed.

Peter.