Thread: Nz Tivo!!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks for your suggestion. Have spent the last two days making doubly sure I've tried all the options as listed below, and yes I had done a Clear & Delete all before starting.

My earlier problem was that Guided Setup (GS) wouldn't work at all but I found an excellent post elsewhere in this forum that recommended doing a GS via my Browser rather than the TiVo menu. This got me further, but failed when it came to making an actual connection. I live in the Coromandel, have a Freeview Satellite box as input to the TiVo (running OzTiVo Version 3.0 Release 1) and I entered the following as parameters to GS:

Source: Cable (tried Satellite as well at one point)
    Zip Code: Tried 02110, 02112 and 02113
    Time Zone: I think not relevant but tried Hawaii and Eastern
    Daylight Savings: No
    Area Code: Tried 002, 007 and 009
    Phone Dialling: No, but noted that Dial Prefix was set to ,#401. I'm guessing this is the code to enable internet connection instead of a phone call.

Then asking GS to proceed, it starts up on Connection, goes through "Preparing to call", "Dialling...", and starts on "Connecting..." After 16 minutes of no further action, it fails with the message "Connecting Failed. Service unavailable." and invites me to go back and change the parameters. It's as if it is trying to make an actual phone call.

I've used Putty to Telnet into tclient.conf and all ports appear to be set correctly to 8000. (NB the last time everything was working, ports were set to 80. I've tried returning to this as well and still no joy.) I also changed the Proxy Connection in Putty Configuration from 80 from 8000 and checked that it had remained set. In fact, originally I only changed this setting and that was when all hell broke loose. But changing it back hasn't helped either. (I note though that Proxy Type is set to None rather than Telnet - don't know if that's relevant.)

Rebooting (after using Browser to set PAL, thus stopping GS from running on boot up) brings up TiVo Central but I can't even watch live telly without disconnecting TiVo all together and still no joy with GS when I do rerun it. It's a real worry that I can't even see live telly. Have checked that TV is being fed in via correct cables etc.

So given that I've clearly done something stupid somewhere along the line, my best option would now seem to be (as someone said here) that I should re-image the disk, whatever that means :-).

Any help, much appreciated. The more I find out about the Topfield, the worse it gets. There are highly non-obvious ways to speed up some operations but they just get you more confused. No way could I teach my wife to use it.
    Last edited by David Stott; 07-09-2008 at 09:50 AM.