Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Nz Tivo!!

Nz Tivo!!

I Want one!!! Is there anyone out there that has one for sale? or can tell me which one to get (I was thinking of buying one from ebay and try to install images etc here)..
    Just to clarify one more thing, basically I want something that can record off sky digital (doesnt have to be HD or anything).. this should work right?

Wish I knew this place existed 3 years ago..

Thumbs up TiVo rocks

You'll be lucky to find someone willing to sell their TiVo in NZ, esp since we won't get the Series3 HD TiVo here.
    Yes a series 1 TiVo will record Sky (in standard definition). If you have a Motorolla DTH335 Sky box you will need it swapped for a DTH325 or a Pace unit (small silver one).
    If you are in Chch I can help you with setup.
    TiVo S1 sell for US$20 or less on Ebay, but postage is about US$80. You might have to buy a remote seperately. You can get one abit cheaper on ebay if you look at the auctions which don't specifically say that they will or will not ship overseas, and message them. USPS (not UPS) Economy Air is the cheapest shipping option I know of.
    Make sure you read this http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view...OzTiVo_and_Add
    You won't need to modify the hardware for use with a Sky box, apart from putting in a bigger HDD if you choose to.

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

Also worth checking our trading forums here, trademe, & ebay.com.au (not TiVoHD) occasionally (none now).

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

I have a spare TiVo I am not using. I was going to stick it on Trademe/Trade forum when I got around to it but if you are interested let me know. I'll double check the specs if you are interested but I think at is as follows:

Philips S1 (Black face)
    2 head IR blaster
    Remote (black)
    Ethernet card
    extra HDD bracket

No tuner as I always use it with my STB. Has some surface scratches but in good condition. Looking at around $250 depending on if you need a HDD for it or would rather find your own. I'm in Wellington.

edit: The unit has sold now.
    Last edited by Wanted; 10-09-2008 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Sold

Hmmmm....

Hmmmm, a S1 Philips ... they don't come along very often and ... darn, I'm sorely tempted ... but not sure I could justify another to the "Minister of Finance"

I'll keep my eye on this thread is case ...
    TiVo Series one Philips unit, TurboNet, 160Gb, on TelstraClear Analogue
    TiVo Series one Thompson unit, TurboNet, 250Gb, on Freeview Digital Satellite, Kaon KSF 570

I'm keen but will be honest I don't know much at all about tech stuff... in other words I don't know what you mean by "no tuner", can you still connect it to sky?
    I'd be keen if anyone around Auckland would be selling one so can assist me with setup if possible

Quote Originally Posted by ahoo View Post
    in other words I don't know what you mean by "no tuner", can you still connect it to sky?
    Yes, because you will be using the Audio/Video (A/V) input to connect the Sky box to the TiVo. Therefore it does not matter if the TiVo you choose is an ex-USA model and therefore unable to receive "normal" stations via a traditional type TV antenna as the Sky box will do the receiving for you.

Of course, if you also wanted to receive TV via antenna in addition to the Sky box you can do that too, but you will either need to get an ex-USA Series 1 TiVo with a PAL tuner retrofitted, or buy an ex-UK "Thompson" TiVo that already has a PAL type tuner factory fitted, but these are much more expensive and much more rare than an ex-USA Series 1 TiVo.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Quote Originally Posted by ahoo View Post
    I'm keen but will be honest I don't know much at all about tech stuff... in other words I don't know what you mean by "no tuner", can you still connect it to sky?
    I'd be keen if anyone around Auckland would be selling one so can assist me with setup if possible
    Just give me a private message if you decide you want to go ahead or not. Not sure if you mean tech stuff in general or just TiVo tech stuff but I recommend imaging from scratch anyway so if there is a problem or upgrade down the road you feel comfortable imaging the hard drive.

Someone local to help the first time is ideal but if you feel up to it you can try with the tutorials etc on the site with email/forum support too if you get stuck. If you can hook up the drive and a cdrom on your computer and boot from cd to image the drive you should find it quite easy from there.

Reimaging

"I recommend imaging from scratch anyway"

I'm also highly untechie, and I noticed your comment here. Is there a reasonably non-techie description somewhere on how to do this?

I managed to break my 5 year old Phillips 250GB Series 1 TiVo a week or so ago by attempting (badly) to swap from Port 80 to 8000, and now it simply won't do anything at all, not even pass live TV through it. Since my life effectively ceases to exist if I don't have a PVR (since I haven't watched live TV for years), I decided to get a Topfield PVR6000 ES - highly recommended, twin tuner (which i would like), etc, etc. After a a bit of playing around, I find it's total rubbish. Obviously designed by an engineer who has only ever used a VCR before. Eg, fastest fast forward speed while watching what's going past is 6 times! And rewind is only 3X!!! Imagine taking 30 seconds to skip 3 minutes of adverts. And then it doesn't rewind a bit, or even stop immediately when you lift your finger off the button. "Pause" is a joke - it takes about half a second to do so. And don't even try to ask it to record all episodes of something. When you record a program from the guide, it gives you the same options of every day, weekends, once a week etc as if you were setting up a manual timer recording and then it simply converts it to purely timebased recording. You even get invited to name the recording by laboriously choosing letters from an on screen keypad. What did the inventor think an EPG was for?

I could go on, but suffice to say, I'd rather have my TiVo back. In fact, I'd rather have a modern twin tuner version, but even the S1 knocks the socks off the "competition".

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Before imaging from scratch...

Have you tried a "Clear & Delete All" (NOTE: will delete all programs on the TiVo HD, as well as all settings, season passes, etc - i.e. it really means ALL). A month ago, I helped my bro change from port 80 -> 8000 and after digging/asking around quite a bit, found out that this was the only way to fix it (for non gurus).

We did manage to drag off the shows first (and the reloaded the good ones after) - but that's another story...
    Philips TiVo Series 1, Turbonet, 320GB, oztivo 1.6.2, NZ Emulator (8000), Akl Sky Digital Satellite