Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Nz Tivo!!

Thanks for your suggestion. Have spent the last two days making doubly sure I've tried all the options as listed below, and yes I had done a Clear & Delete all before starting.

My earlier problem was that Guided Setup (GS) wouldn't work at all but I found an excellent post elsewhere in this forum that recommended doing a GS via my Browser rather than the TiVo menu. This got me further, but failed when it came to making an actual connection. I live in the Coromandel, have a Freeview Satellite box as input to the TiVo (running OzTiVo Version 3.0 Release 1) and I entered the following as parameters to GS:

Source: Cable (tried Satellite as well at one point)
    Zip Code: Tried 02110, 02112 and 02113
    Time Zone: I think not relevant but tried Hawaii and Eastern
    Daylight Savings: No
    Area Code: Tried 002, 007 and 009
    Phone Dialling: No, but noted that Dial Prefix was set to ,#401. I'm guessing this is the code to enable internet connection instead of a phone call.

Then asking GS to proceed, it starts up on Connection, goes through "Preparing to call", "Dialling...", and starts on "Connecting..." After 16 minutes of no further action, it fails with the message "Connecting Failed. Service unavailable." and invites me to go back and change the parameters. It's as if it is trying to make an actual phone call.

I've used Putty to Telnet into tclient.conf and all ports appear to be set correctly to 8000. (NB the last time everything was working, ports were set to 80. I've tried returning to this as well and still no joy.) I also changed the Proxy Connection in Putty Configuration from 80 from 8000 and checked that it had remained set. In fact, originally I only changed this setting and that was when all hell broke loose. But changing it back hasn't helped either. (I note though that Proxy Type is set to None rather than Telnet - don't know if that's relevant.)

Rebooting (after using Browser to set PAL, thus stopping GS from running on boot up) brings up TiVo Central but I can't even watch live telly without disconnecting TiVo all together and still no joy with GS when I do rerun it. It's a real worry that I can't even see live telly. Have checked that TV is being fed in via correct cables etc.

So given that I've clearly done something stupid somewhere along the line, my best option would now seem to be (as someone said here) that I should re-image the disk, whatever that means :-).

Any help, much appreciated. The more I find out about the Topfield, the worse it gets. There are highly non-obvious ways to speed up some operations but they just get you more confused. No way could I teach my wife to use it.
    Last edited by David Stott; 07-09-2008 at 08:50 AM.

David
    Does this appear in tclient.conf?

# This is for the NZ server emulator.
    #127::210.48.107.133:8000::

This is from a Thomson, however I imagine it will be applicable for your TiVo also, unless a proxy was setup on your TiVo.

It may be worth posting the contents of /etc/tclient.conf and /etc/postcodezones here.
    David Hingston, Wellington, NZ
    Thomson TiVo, Cachecard 512MB, Samsung 300G, TWP 1.3.1
    Thomson TiVo, Cachecard 512MB, Seagate 320G, TWP 1.3.1
    Thomson TiVo, Cachecard 512MB, Seagate 320G, TWP 2.1 beta

Quote Originally Posted by David Stott View Post
    I've used Putty to Telnet into tclient.conf and all ports appear to be set correctly to 8000. (NB the last time everything was working, ports were set to 80. I've tried returning to this as well and still no joy.) I also changed the Proxy Connection in Putty Configuration from 80 from 8000 and checked that it had remained set. In fact, originally I only changed this setting and that was when all hell broke loose. But changing it back hasn't helped either. (I note though that Proxy Type is set to None rather than Telnet - don't know if that's relevant.)
    You have to use port 8000 on 210.48.107.133.
    Nothing else will work.

This is from my working tivo:

In /etc/tclient.conf you should have
    # This uses emuProxy2 to avoid problems with transparent proxy. Thanks Tim!
    127::127.0.0.1:8000:::

In /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author you should have
    emuProxy2 -s 210.48.107.133 -p 8000 &

Basically the line in tclient.conf points the tivo to the local (tivo) proxy.
    The line in sysinit.author points the proxy to the real server.

Thankyou Wibble and Timesown for your prompt responses.

I have the 127 line as Timesown shows in tclient and it's what I always had. I note this is quite different from what Wibble shows I should have.

I cannot find the file /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author at all. Pico-ing into it brings up a blank new file.

Are these two issues a NZ difference?

Don't know if it helps at all, but when I was recently re-imaging my TiVo, I had problems with the image I was using - which I thought was the latest. Turns out it wasn't - I was using one labelled August, and there was a more recent one labelled December.

When I tried it again with the newer image, I stopped having that problem where the call failed to connect - although I got a different problem where the downloaded data failed to import (see here : http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=1892) but DJC managed to fix the data and I was away.

So might pay to check what version of the image you're using?

Cheers

Mark
    Philips TiVo Series 1, Turbonet, 1 x 250GB, NZ Emulator - Satellite (Sky Digital)

Thanks Mark. That's in fact where I came into this discussion thinking that a re-image might be the best thing to do. But I don't have a clue how to do that and was asking if there was a reasonable simple explanation of that somewhere, since I guess I wouldn't be the first to ask. Eg, you must have learned from somewhere.

From hints I've picked up, it may involve removing the disk from the TiVo, connecting it to a PC, reformatting and then copying down the latest files. Is that what it is? I'm not even sure how to tell what image I currently have but startup says I have OzTiVo 3.0, release 1.

Have just looked at the postings on the thread you refer to Mark, and wonder if my problem is that I am using Freeview Satellite? There seem to be some issues on satellites in general. In particular, where can I find what postcode and zone I should be using for the Freeview Satellite? I'm assuming there is a list of these posted somewhere.

David

From hints I've picked up, it may involve removing the disk from the TiVo, connecting it to a PC, reformatting and then copying down the latest files. Is that what it is? I'm not even sure how to tell what image I currently have but startup says I have OzTiVo 3.0, release 1.
    Yes, that is pretty much what you need to do.

First download the latest NZ image. Assuming you have a US Tivo (Philips), click here. Burn it on to CD, put the tivo harddrive into your PC (remove other harddrives), boot from the CD and it will load up a menu. For the most part, you should be able to follow the instructions on the oztivo website to get through the different options. (I'm not sure if there are instructions explicitly for NZ as the nztivo.net website is currently down).

Put the drive back into tivo, and run through guided setup. Look here for instructions.

In particular, where can I find what postcode and zone I should be using for the Freeview Satellite? I'm assuming there is a list of these posted somewhere.
    You can find the list in the NZ section of these forums, or just click here

CatDog, may you be in heaven 10 years before the devil knows you're gone. That's excellent thanks. I had already found the software for my Philips and the GS instructions, but not the other links.

A couple of final questions and then I'll get out of everyone's hair.

1. I see from the Time Zones link that Zip Code is 02110 for Freeview Satellite. But I'm still confused by all the posts I've read as to whether Source should be Cable or Satellite? And is Area Code irrelevant or should it be 002?

2. Is it possible that software issues are preventing me seeing live TV? It sounds more like a hardware or cable issue to me but I've both checked and tested my cable connections and am fairly sure that's not it. If this indicates I have a hardware fault then I should just get a new box (which I'd like to do anyway if it means getting twin tuners).

3. If all else fails, does anyone have any recommendations on the biggest and best TiVo money can currently buy that can be made to work in NZ (I assume by just doing the re-image)?

David

2. Is it possible that software issues are preventing me seeing live TV? It sounds more like a hardware or cable issue to me but I've both checked and tested my cable connections and am fairly sure that's not it. If this indicates I have a hardware fault then I should just get a new box (which I'd like to do anyway if it means getting twin tuners).
    In most cases it is software, but if your ultimate goal is getting two boxes running for "twin tuners" then it can't hurt as then you will have a second box to do "swap and check" of parts for aiding in diagnostics.

3. If all else fails, does anyone have any recommendations on the biggest and best TiVo money can currently buy that can be made to work in NZ (I assume by just doing the re-image)?
    The USA Series 1 Philips or Sony, or the UK Thompson units is it. You can't get any more modern TiVo's going. Therefore as said above if you want "twin tuners" it will mean two TiVo's. So if there does happen to be a hardware fault with your current unit (as said, usually unlikely) then you either need to buy two more TiVo's and ditch your current one, or buy another and get the current unit repaired.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

1. I see from the Time Zones link that Zip Code is 02110 for Freeview Satellite. But I'm still confused by all the posts I've read as to whether Source should be Cable or Satellite? And is Area Code irrelevant or should it be 002?
    I *think* it should be satellite for Freeview, but I am not 100% sure. If it doesn't work try cable The Area Code MUST be set to 002. It will say there are no dial in numbers for that code (or something like that), but just keep following the instructions to use the sales and marketing option.

There are other things you will need to configure as well (like daylight savings running longer than it used to), but try and get through guided setup first then come back with more questions