Thread: Drive Suitability

Drive Suitability

Can someone check my homework (reading through the forums and FAQs etc) please.

From my research I believe a drive such as this :

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&ih=020

is suitable for a sony series 1 ? Do I get 10/10 ?

However I may not earn a bonus point just yet because :
    From my OzTivo FAQ reading I know there may be issues if I ever want to add a second (7200.9) drive to the Seagate, although elsewhere I have read that's only if the second drive is also a similar Seagate. I have also read elsewhere that a second drive can be added but with some 'fiddling around'.

As this drive is a series 10 and the FAQ is dated 2006, its unclear to me what the impact of a second drive would be as the FAQ references only 7200.9 and is dated 2006 (hence refs. to "other" reading), but I assume it to still be an issue. But as Im fairly unlikely to add a second drive this doesnt overly concern me, its more a point of interest.

many thanks for any homework checkers !

Were you thinking of buying from that supplier? If so, that doesn't seem particularly cheap for a 320 GB drive. I picked up a 500 GB Western Digital drive for $95 recently.

It might be worth checking a few other suppliers. Pricespy is a useful starting point.

Yes pretty much any IDE drive will work fine in a single drive TiVo. The warnings about 7200.9 is still current for all new seagate drives at this stage. But that said with current pricing why not go for a 500 or 750Gb drive. you shouldn't need more then that in a single tuner TiVo.

Another good site for price comparisons is staticICE, try this link for a search for 320gb IDE drives.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!