Thread: Bigger Hard Drives

Bigger Hard Drives

With the price of hard drives so low at the moment i was wondering if there has been any advances in software to allow for 500+gb hard drives?

Most of the faqs etc are dated in 06 and im yet to find any recent articles to support if they work? The system iam thinking of installing twin segates is a Tivo Philips Series 1 PTV100 DVR.

Help would be greatly appreciated in advance. Thanks Daniel

I can only confirm that I am using 2 x 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM Drives. ST3500320AS are the part numbers.

The only thing I notice is that it struggles sometimes to remain completely stable. Every now and again I get a few jitters in the playback of video. I assume it is because it has to search the entire 1TB for data. It is also a little slow using the menu system now, and it has only happened since upgrading the drives, although I am not sure why, I thought the cache card was supposed to bypass uisng the hard drives for the menus.
    TiVo Series 1 (Phillips) - 500Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, Foxtel Digital Cable
    TiVo Series 1 (Sony) - 250Gb, Turbonet Card, HAILO 8000 HD STB

The warning regarding using Seagate drives above a 7200.8 generation is still the current state of play. If you want big storage then settle for a single hard disk install, of which 750GB is confirmed to work and nobody has said 1TB drives don't work but assume nothing (can anyone confirm?)

Quote Originally Posted by pjpete View Post
    It is also a little slow using the menu system now, and it has only happened since upgrading the drives, although I am not sure why, I thought the cache card was supposed to bypass using the hard drives for the menus.
    Personally I have always doubted the usefulness of a cachecard (I've commented several times why on these forums). You have to bear in mind that a cachecard was developed for "big" drives when TiVo's were released to the market with maybe tops a 40GB hard disk and an aftermarket "big" drive was 80GB or if you were rich maybe a twin 120GB install! Pushing 1TB is probably asking too much for the database regardless of whether a cachecard is fitted or not!
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Ok thanks very much for you advice guys, so i think for stability ill just use a single 750gb. To be honest i dont think i would use 1tb of space but i thought while im doing it i may as well do it propley while i was there. Thanks again for your advice!

Yep think I might go back to single hard drive anyway. I never use the entire space, I just put it in because I had another lying around. Will see if this makes an improvement to the performance.

Agree with you Darren, I am not sure I have seen any real difference between my Phillips and Sony TiVo's, one with and one without a cachecard.
    TiVo Series 1 (Phillips) - 500Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, Foxtel Digital Cable
    TiVo Series 1 (Sony) - 250Gb, Turbonet Card, HAILO 8000 HD STB

Personally I still feel a 512Mb cachecard still brings up the Now Showing lists much faster, if you have a big list.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!