Thread: Tivo Guide. The end? Why?

Tivo Guide. The end? Why?

Got a tivo message today,
    Apparently there will be no more Tivo guide data.
    Can someone give any more detail as to why they were asked to stop distributing it?
    I cant see how, what we are getting, which seems to be publically available through various sources, and I'm not just talking about on the web, would be considered bad...?

Spook8000.

Exclamation Guide Data

Like to be of assistance, but I have the same questions as you.

I am unsure why no one else has posted messages about this, this is a major issue right ? Or is there something I am missing ?

I can't find anything anywhere on this besides the message on my tivo.

Question

Im hoping to order my first tivo later this week.

But after reading this, and I read it in another newsgroup, Im not so sure. Does no more tivo guide data mean no more tivo?

Please explain

Thanks!
    its not that im lazy, its that i just dont care

Guide Data is a very Fluid Situation

Hi Guys,

Things are moving very quickly WRT guide data. The message being put through to the TiVos is out of date already (I personally don't think it's a good idea to send emails yet and will ignore the second part of the TiVo message).

At this point in time things are looking a lot healthier WRT Guide Data. Here is a recent post from Warren:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/ozt...ly/014708.html

To keep up with developments you could subscribe to the mailing list here:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/mailman/listinfo/oztivo

or just watch the archive here ...

http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/oztivo/

... where you can also catch up on what transpired (in the June archive). It all started here:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/ozt...ne/014567.html

OzTiVo really is in great hands and its future looks as bright as ever.

Cheers, Dave.
    Last edited by DavidSymons; 01-07-2004 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Living Room: US Philips HDR112, Seagate 200Gb, OzTiVo Image v1.5 (20051128), CacheCard (no RAM), Kross STB
    Rumpus Room: US Philips HDR31202, Seagate 120Gb, OzTiVo Image v1.6, CacheCard (no RAM), Tuner Mod, Dual Input Mod
    Additional Hacks: Re-order Season Passes

thanks dave

i spent some catching up on the threads.

man its hard being ahead of the curve!
    its not that im lazy, its that i just dont care

Quote Originally Posted by CovertSquirrel

I am unsure why no one else has posted messages about this, this is a major issue right ? Or is there something I am missing ?

Pretty simply because most of the developers who have done the work, and continue to do the work that makes TiVo a possibility outside the USA, Canada and the UK, only use the mailing lists.

If you want to keep up to date with what's happening, and see a great deal more traffic of information, then you should subscribe to the OzTiVo mailing list.

The forums were really started to provide an easier route in for new people (stop asking the same question over and over again, which was happening with the mailing list), and a separate area for our New Zealand cousins, who really didn't want to know that guide data for Channel 7 was missing 4 hours on Thursday, or similar.

I think they both complement each other, but the hard core stuff happens over on the mailing list.

Charlie

I would like to point out as well that in light of recent problems with specific "groups" and/or companies, I have indeed started a "Guide Discussion" forum which is more suited to people who might possibly have the skills on advancing the guide data and who want me to cross post things from the oztivo-guide mailing list.

Normal people will not be able to see any of the posts in the forum unless they are "subscribed" which requires a simple private message to me telling me that you want to be a part of this discussion group. Admittedly there is nothing to hide, but I would like to protect the best interests of the group by restricting the information.

Guidelines are as follows: you must have had your forums account for more than 7 days (unless you have registered and posted on the email lists prior to this and your email address matches).

As for guide data... Warren has advised that he has some for the week upcoming, however the data might not be all correct as he is now using different sources.

Hope this helps your question/situations

Cheers.
    Ex Tivo Owner.
    Philips Tivo
    Version 1.3 Emulator Image from Minnie
    200Gig Western Digital HDD
    No Turbonet or Cachecard
    Slices: Cable Digital FTA