Thread: Features: OZTiVo, Aus TiVo, and US TiVo

Exclamation Features: OZTiVo, Aus TiVo, and US TiVo

Hi...

I've recently bought a TiVO from HN (call it CH7TiVo), and while I'm very happy with its performance, I am even more curious about the TiVo features that have been stripped from this device for the OZ market (ie. LAN browsing, playing vids from USB sticks, web-based program recording config, inet-streamed video/audio, web browsing etc...).

So, clearly the CH7TiVo has various features disabled that TiVo users in USA can enjoy. Apparently we're also running somewhat older firmware revisions. What about OZTiVo? I'm guessing that these units more closely match the feature set enjoyed in the USA - correct? If so, I presume any OZTiVo would be bitterly dissapointed with the CH7TiVo if they decided to buy one now that TiVo has reached OZ. Yes?

Presumably CH7 opted for fewer features in CH7TiVo in order to be able to charge $700 (as opposed to $1200 for Topfield/BWiz equivalents) for them and no subscription fee, and that in order to offer the additional features, TiVo-USA will want additional $$, so the OZ market will have to pay one way or another. Yes?

Seems strange that a device would limit functionality of USB, ethernet, & wifi ports down to JUST EPG retreival and firmware updates... but if it enabled CH7 to bring it to us at a lower cost, then thats not so bad. Still kinda like deceptive marketing IMO.

Stu.

Most of the US features should become enabled here in the new year, but they are charging to upgrade the firmware.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sTu_Deimus View Post
    Hi...

I've recently bought a TiVO from HN (call it CH7TiVo), and while I'm very happy with its performance, I am even more curious about the TiVo features that have been stripped from this device for the OZ market (ie. LAN browsing, playing vids from USB sticks, web-based program recording config, inet-streamed video/audio, web browsing etc...).

So, clearly the CH7TiVo has various features disabled that TiVo users in USA can enjoy. Apparently we're also running somewhat older firmware revisions. What about OZTiVo? I'm guessing that these units more closely match the feature set enjoyed in the USA - correct? If so, I presume any OZTiVo would be bitterly dissapointed with the CH7TiVo if they decided to buy one now that TiVo has reached OZ. Yes?

Presumably CH7 opted for fewer features in CH7TiVo in order to be able to charge $700 (as opposed to $1200 for Topfield/BWiz equivalents) for them and no subscription fee, and that in order to offer the additional features, TiVo-USA will want additional $$, so the OZ market will have to pay one way or another. Yes?

Seems strange that a device would limit functionality of USB, ethernet, & wifi ports down to JUST EPG retreival and firmware updates... but if it enabled CH7 to bring it to us at a lower cost, then thats not so bad. Still kinda like deceptive marketing IMO.

Stu.
    I feel like I just had dejavu reading your post, Did'nt you also post this on DTVforums? lol

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=69190

I hope your questions got answered

Yep, pretty much thanks Palmag.

Stu.