Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tivo Desktop Software and Media Access Key

Tivo Desktop Software and Media Access Key

After 48 hours my new TivoHD acquired an additional menu item on Tivo Central - "Music, Photos, Products, & More".

Naturally I felt the need to investigate further. The new options included some games, configuring a server for Tivo Desktop Software and enabling home network applications.

Downloaded Tivo Desktop and tried installing it on a desktop PC. Hit the wall when the install asked for the "Media Access Key". According to the install dialog box this should appear as a separate option under "Messages & Settings"/"Account & System Information" but it's not there. Tried connecting to the Tivo Service in case a further update was needed but selecting the Connect option responds with "This option will be unavailable until a scheduled software update occurs at 2:00am."

Tried the Setup & Support page on www.tivo.com.au. The message "Check back on the 29th of July, 2008 for the launch of this support service" was not helpful.

I might pluck up courage and try the phone support line, or I might just wait and see.

Hey mate....

I also did some research last night after I got my TiVo and downloaded the desktop software. I found a nifty little guide I can post up for you

http://lifehacker.com/352229/watch-v...-tivo-for-free

When I went to system information I can't remember WHAT option it was but it had a key that was i,i,i

I entered that into the desktop software and ENABLED network applications and the software picked up the Tivo Unit. Problem was I couldn't see what video was on the unit, nor could I see Video from my PC on the TiVo unit, but I could see music and photos from my pc on the unit.....very strange indeed.

I am running Vista, so that could also have something to do with it, or perhaps it's just blocked at the moment. I will try tonight on my XP laptop and let you know how I go

Media Access Keys have not been released in Australia yet.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren King View Post
    Media Access Keys have not been released in Australia yet.
    I figured as much, but as I said by entering the code (I will check when i get home and see what option it was under) I was at least able to see my TiVo and my TiVo could view music and photos from my PC just not video....

There is a good chance you will loose the music and photo's section soon as it was not originally planned for release until after Christmas.

If you do still have it, what is the version number on your TiVo (found on the system information screen).

Peter
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Yes I had fun with this option as well, that is until it was taken away again via another update...

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    There is a good chance you will loose the music and photo's section soon as it was not originally planned for release until after Christmas.

If you do still have it, what is the version number on your TiVo (found on the system information screen).

Peter
    I'm at work right now, but as soon as I get home I'll quote the info for you

Ok so I went to Messages and Settings, Account and System Information. Then System Information

TiVo to go code is what I entered, mine is i,i,i and this allowed me to see my TiVo unit and my TiVo unit to see my music and photos folder

And Pete my Software Version is : 8.2a-01-2-663

Well I just checked then from my XP laptop. Once again can see the TiVo but cannot access videos. Now my TiVo Desktop Manager says that Transfers might not be configured on my DVR.... So I would say that yes, at this stage it is blocked

Quote Originally Posted by Hellerphant View Post
    TiVo to go code is what I entered, mine is i,i,i and this allowed me to see my TiVo unit and my TiVo unit to see my music and photos folder
    Everyone has the same i,i,i in their units. when the basic features are enabled you can seen music and photo's without entering any code during the install of TiVo Desktop, or even entering a wrong code (as i,i,i is).

Quote Originally Posted by Hellerphant View Post
    And Pete my Software Version is : 8.2a-01-2-663
    That is the original release, you will have 8.2.1-01-2-663 now/soon.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!