Thread: New Oz Tivo's

New Oz Tivo's

Ok, not sure if this has been presented, but another question about it won't hurt.

What are the possibilities of the new Tivo's being modified and useable with the oztivo software? Is it the same case as the series 2 & 3 , where I believe the release of hardware coding is affecting the ability to provide adequate drivers, etc for the units? (is this right, not sure if I am on track here)

Obviously it is a great incentive to purchase one and modify it, then throw the old series 1 into the kids room to fill up with "The Fairies" and "Wiggles" to their hearts content.

Domayne/Hardly Normals are offering them for $669 with the demo in store next Thursday. I would be the first to buy one if the possibility was there.
    TiVo Series 1 (Phillips) - 500Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, Foxtel Digital Cable
    TiVo Series 1 (Sony) - 250Gb, Turbonet Card, HAILO 8000 HD STB

In short, there is no chance (or desire) to run the current software.

Also any software modification to the new TiVo will require removal of the Prom and replacement with a reporgrammed Prom chip on the mainboard before any access can be had.

Why would you want to downgrade the software?

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Dead right, I wouldn't. Hence the question. I guess I wrote it a little incorrectly. What I meant was, is their a possibility that someone will eventually write software to accommodate the new Tivo's. Or are we stuck with the old technology which delivers a great product, instead of great technology which delivers a crap product.
    TiVo Series 1 (Phillips) - 500Gb, 512Mb Cachecard, Foxtel Digital Cable
    TiVo Series 1 (Sony) - 250Gb, Turbonet Card, HAILO 8000 HD STB

If you want to remain an experimenter you stick with your Series 1. If you want the latest technology then you buy a TiVo HD.

Note that it is wrong to refer to OzTiVo as a "product". It has never been commercial nor has it ever offered an official help desk environment. The premise has always been an experimental hobbyist device which apart from a few people offering Q&A help and advice has always been a "do it yourself" device.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Quote Originally Posted by pjpete View Post
    is their a possibility that someone will eventually write software to accommodate the new Tivo's.
    We have always said that should TiVo launch here commercially we would not do anything that may harm their revenue and this still stands.

However the Release here in Australia is unique in the world, as there is monthly fee.

As things stand and from reports sent to me, the guide data is pretty good. So there is no need to make the new machines work with our server. And if we did, it would allow people in other countries to steal service. So this is not going to happen.

If TiVo fails here and the guide is stopped, then we will probably re-visit the issue.

As far running hacks go, if people are willing to break their warranties and no harm is done to TiVo revenue I personally can't see any reason why not to try just from an experimenters point of view.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!