Thread: TurboNet card not starting up

TurboNet card not starting up

Background:
    Last week I was attempting to update both of my Tivo's to v1.6.2 and changeover to use the new server.
    Both boxes are now running v1.6.2, but I've somehow managed to screw up the network connectivity on one of the boxes (previously running v1.3). This probably occured as a result of me trying to change the Turbonet mac address (even though I was able to do this fine on the other box).

I've connected to the tivo via a serial cable and can see that eth0 doesn't appear in the results for ifconfig. I tried trolling through /var/log/messages but I couldn't see anything obvious.

I was able to run net_config_tivo again, but I don't know if this program actually interacts with the Turbonet card or just changes the config files.

I'm hoping that someone can offer some guidance on other log or config files to check.

Can you please post your etc/oztivo.conf file.

Peter
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Here's the contents of my oztivo.conf

Code:
    nic=TurboNet
    ip=DHCP
    mac=00:0B:AD:10:10:13
    timing=4
    hostname=oztivo_bed
    emulator=www.oztivo.net
    emulatorport=9090
    netmask=
    gateway=
    ssid=
    wep=
    wepkey=
    My other tivo (the working one) has effectively the same contents except for the mac and hostname. It seems that oztivo.conf is referenced by /etc/rc.d/rc.net. How can I diagnose whether this is getting run ?

rc.net is called by rc.sysinit.

Reboot and then post your /var/log/kernel

For error messages

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

I've made a small bit of progress. After a reboot, I checked /var/log/kernel and noticed the following lines related to eth0.

Code:
    Jan  1 00:00:22 (none) kernel: eth0: unknown interface. 
    Jan  1 00:00:22 (none) kernel: Configuring network... 
    Jan  1 00:00:22 (none) kernel: Starting TurboNet 
    Jan  1 00:00:22 (none) kernel: /lib/modules/turbonet.o: /lib/modules/turbonet.o: No such file or directory 
    Jan  1 00:00:22 (none) kernel: /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: sendtivomesg.tcl: command not found
    Sure enough, /lib/modules/turbonet.o didn't exist and I can only imagine that this is related to the notes in the 'known issues' for the 1.6 upgrade which mention that 'some files' fail to get copied due to issues with large IDE disks.

For some bizarre reason I could remember that ax88796.o was previously used for the TurboNet card, so I copied it (to TurboNet.o), rebooted... and eth0 reappeared.

I've got no idea which files were missed during the update so I can only imagine the safest approach is to reinstall the whole disk, although I might try running the update again just to see whether it magically works the 2nd time round. Anyone got any other ideas ?

Sounds like you have it sorted, but finding missing files is a little difficult.

I'm working on the next release now and will use a newer kernel for the Cd which should get around these issues.

If you really want to be sure you can send your drive to Darren King, and he can image it for you.

Peter.

Happy to assist if Steve requires it.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!