Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Emulator - No NZ Guide?

Apologies for misunderstanding the complexities of the update process.
    My thoughts were only that if the oztivo_update process was intelligent enough to check the postcodezone in use on the target TiVo then act accordingly for the country of use this process could be of use to both countries as it has been (as far as I am aware) until now.

We did not know that any New Zealanders were using update_oztivo.

It has no intelligence, all it does is run standard rsync which checks for any new or different files on our server. The ones that are different are then downloaded to the TiVo.

This does not effect most configuration files as they can be different for each TiVo regardless of country.

It should be safe to use update_oztivo, once you have the current version which points to the new server. But I can't make any promises that an update we make in the future on the OzTiVo server won't break a NZ TiVo.

To be safe, either forget about the update command or wait for someone to setup a NZ rsync server as previously advised.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Thanks for the replies Peter. I manually changed my config back last night, rebooted, and forced a call. All ok. Will monitor for the next few days but don't expect any issues.

Phil (in Wellington)

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    We did not know that any New Zealanders were using update_oztivo.

It has no intelligence, all it does is run standard rsync which checks for any new or different files on our server. The ones that are different are then downloaded to the TiVo.

This does not effect most configuration files as they can be different for each TiVo regardless of country.

Peter.
    That might explain the port set to 909000 in oztivo.conf in the last two NZ TiVos I set up. I ran update_oztivo -y before GS. I wrongly assumed that it pulled the files off what ever emulator address had been selected eg Hydra for NZ.
    I also assumed it could not partially update a file eg, change the port but not the emulator or MAC address in oztivo.conf, is that true?

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

Yes, it now makes sense.

I couldn't find any file that was causing your issues. I didn't realise that you also ran the update_oztivo command. I thought you only ran the installer update.

The update loads a new file to fix the server and port. It looks for '80' in the Port and then replaces it with 9090. But in your case you had 8000, so it only replaced the first 2 digits leaving 909000.

Mystery solved.

As for the second part, like I said earlier, update only runs rsync to get the newest files. In this unique case we added a new file to be run on boot and then delete itself. This file looks in a few places and replaces 'minnie.tuhs.org' with 'www.oztivo.net', '131.244.9.101' with '65.49.60.197', and emulator '80' with '9090'. Unfortunately the NZ emulator is 8000, so it was changed to 909000. Again we never thought a person in New Zealand would run update-oztivo.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

I too am having problems!

No listings due to failed daily calls. Last successful call made on 28th June 2008. Hence no daily listings.

Running a Thomson PVR10 with an NZ Tivo 1.5 image for the Thomson.

Any ideas how to fix please? Have been reading this thread and i'm a little stuck.

Regards, Ian

ok the thomson is actually running version 1.3

Did you change to the Australian Server?

Peter.

OK! I found the information on 1.3 on this link:

http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view...nieToOzTivoNet

Very helpful page.

On my Mac, i booted up terminal, then went:

telnet 10.0.0.9

Up came the Tivo. Then did this:

rw
    cd /etc
    cp tclient.conf tclient.conf.minnie
    sed 's/::131.244.9.101/::210.48.107.133/' tclient.conf.minnie > tclient.conf
    diff tclient.conf tclient.conf.minnie
    cd /etc/rc.d
    cp rc.sysinit.author rc.sysinit.author.minnie
    sed 's/131.244.9.101/210.48.107.1337/' rc.sysinit.author.minnie > rc.sysinit.author
    diff rc.sysinit.author rc.sysinit.author.minnie
    ro
    reboot

And it is now working a treat! Succesful daily call made and downloading the listings. These things seem to be bullet proof! Thanks for putting up the info.

Can you answer my original question, give us some background as to how this occurred.

It is very strange that this worked for you.

Because if you had changed to the new Australian emulator by mistake, then the sed commands should not have replaced anything, as the IP should have been for the new emulator (65.49.60.197), not the old OzTiVo 131.244.9.101 you have shown.

I would like to know how this happened to stop it occurring for others, and be sure you have fixed everything and won't have trouble down the track.

Peter