Thread: Networking with build in Modem

Question Networking with build in Modem

Hi there

Please excuse me. I'm a newbie who's tech literate but not very good with Linux yet.

I've just purchased a Philips Tivo with the latest oztivo software on it (1.6.2). However, the person selling it removed the turbonet card and sold it as a separate item. So I've got a Tivo with no Turbonet but still configured to use one

I'm trying to get the modem working. I've read "NetworkingWithBuiltInModem" in the FAQ's. However, I'm stuck with the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit file. I want to change this to show "nic = modem" but I can't get "nic_config_tivo" to do this as it's already configured for turbonet and I just get the ip address, mac address and dns options when I run it. I know a bit of Linux but I'm by no means an expert.

Do I need to start again with a new iso file? Any other possibilities? Can I just change the attributes of the rc.sysinit file and edit it??? I'm using the Joe editor as suggested in the FAQ's. If I'm allowed to change the file attributes please let me know how to do this from BASH. The rc.sysinit file is set as read only, and contains a warning, probably with good reason.

Just for the record I'm not interested in putting a network card in the tivo as I've no chance of getting to it with a network cable and don't want to spend more money on adding wireless networking to it at this point. There's a phone point right by it and I've already edited tclient.config with the correct information.

Thanks for any and all help!

Netmedic

Please wait at least a couple of days before cross posting here and on the email list. With the move to a new server there is a lot of extra work for us and responses may not be as quick as usual.

As I have posted to list:
    The original 1.6.2 nic_config_tivo had some faults with dialup.

Since you can't use the internet to update the software, try manually coping the current file from here:

And use it to setup the connection rather than manually.

Also read this:

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!