Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you set up a Waikanae Headend?

Can you set up a Waikanae Headend?

My friend has given me some channel numbers and frequencies for Waikanae for FTA. He doesn't get all the channels (no C4) and he has a Thomson with it's original PAL tuner.

TV1 Channel 10 217.25MHz
    TV2 Channel 4 175.25MHz
    TV3 Channel 31 551.25MHz
    Prime Channel 62 799.25MHz
    Maori Channel 27 519.25MHz

He gave me the channel numbers, I looked up the frequencies here:

http://www.lincrad.co.nz/pdf/nztelevisionchannels.pdf

so hopefully I have the correct frequencies.

Thanks a lot

One potential issue the lincrad transmitters site shows TV1 and TV2 being transmitted on channel 9 and 3 respectively(off the Ngarara Transmitter) not 10 and 4 but the other stations correspond with what I thought they should be. Perhaps the lincrad site isn't up to date? Looking at the transmitters and knowing where he's living too I would've expected him to pick up from the Reikorangi transmitter or Paraparaumu but it doesn't seem to be the case. I would've thought that these channels he read off would be more like what you'd get in Levin but hey.
    Last edited by BenMorgan; 22-03-2008 at 12:01 PM.

Done. Postcode is 02127 for v2.5 thomson units, its also added to the combined FTA 02112 for v3 software. It will active in today's build.
    1 x Philips TiVo Series 1, Cachecard, 1 x 1TB SATA (with recent TradeMe sourced adaptor), Mk II Pal Tuner Mod, NZ Emulator, Previously Dual A/V Source, Now Pay Satellite
    2 x TiVo HD, Freeview, HNP, 2TB (WD-AV) jmfs upgraded
    1 x Thomson UK TiVo, Cachecard, 200GB, Testing Work

You absolute star! I'll report back on how well it works when I get the Thomson installed at my friends place up the coast! Thanks

Update... my friend plugged in his Tivo last night and is receiving most of the channels fine but TV1 and TV2 aren't showing up on the channels we read off the TV. Originally we read off TV1 on Channel 10 and TV2 on Channel 4 but I was a bit skeptical of those numbers because the lincrad site suggests the Ngarara transmitter transmits on 9 and 3 respectively. I don't know whether it's pertinent or not but Ngarara seems to broadcast TV1 and TV2 with horizontal polarity, all the other channels he receives are broadcast on vertical polarity. Is that likely to cause problems? Might the TV tuner be able to receive both HPOL and VPOL but the Tivo's tuner only VPOL?

Having read the Mt Maunganui thread would it be a good idea to set up a headend that takes into account all the possible frequencies for these channels across the whole of the Kapiti/Horowhenua area based on the lincrad frequencies and just remove channels that have poor or no reception? Might suit more people then than just my mate in Waikanae! If you reckon that's a plan here's the frequencies for the entire area. There are 5 Transmitters in the area, Tunapo which is furthest south. Paraparaumu and Reikorangi in the center and Ngarara and Forest Hills to the North:

TV1: Chan 9 210.25Mhz HPol (Ngarara)
    TV1: Chan 4 175.25MHz VPol (Reikorangi)
    TV1: Chan 4 175.25MHz HPol (Paraparaumu)
    TV1: Chan 6 189.25MHz VPol (Tunapo)
    TV2: Chan 3 62.25MHz HPol (Ngarara)
    TV2: Chan 7 196.25MHz VPol (Reikorangi)
    TV2: Chan 7 196.25MHz HPol (Paraparaumu)
    TV2: Chan 8 203.25MHz VPol (Tunapo)
    TV3: Chan 31 551.25MHz VPol (Forest Heights)
    TV3: Chan 11 224.25MHz HPol (Paraparaumu)
    TV3: Chan 10 217.25MHz VPol (Tunapo)
    Prime: Chan 62 799.25MHz VPol (Forest Heights)
    Maori: Chan 27 519.25MHz VPol (Ngarara)
    Track/Disc: Chan 51 711.25MHz VPol (Ngarara)
    Last edited by BenMorgan; 10-04-2008 at 08:43 AM. Reason: edited typo as per Skolink's post

Quote Originally Posted by BenMorgan View Post
    I don't know whether it's pertinent or not but Ngarara seems to broadcast TV1 and TV2 with horizontal polarity, all the other channels he receives are broadcast on vertical polarity. Is that likely to cause problems?
    Yes that will be a problem. Go outside and look at your antenna on the roof. If the metal elements (prongs / bars) are parallel to the ground that is horizontal, if the elements are pointing up and down then that is vertical polarisation. You will receive almost no signal from the other polarisation.

Quote Originally Posted by BenMorgan View Post
    Might the TV tuner be able to receive both HPOL and VPOL but the Tivo's tuner only VPOL?
    It's not like a satellite receiver where it can switch the polarity of the 'antenna' inside the LNB on the dish. If you want to receive both polarities you will need another antenna on your roof with the other polarity and diplex them together. The other antenna will probably need to point in a different direction too. If both signals are coming from the same direction, and are both very strong, you can tilt the antenna to 45° to receive both polarisations, but the signal from both will be degraded.

It's probably not the polarity difference causing the problem then as the tuner in his TV receives TV1 and TV2 on those channels (well, 10 and 4) through the antenna with no difficulties. I think maybe it's just his TV that displays the incorrect channels at the lower end of the frequency spectrum?

Lincrad website

The Lincrad website definitely isn't 100%. I found errors on it when compiling the Nelson list of frequencies. It is unlikely that the would be transmitting on the same frequency from neighboring towers (even if they are not the same polartity) for example what you listed for TV1.
    You might fin that your friend's TV, like my parents, lists the frequencies slightly offset (0.5MHz)

Also for example you list Prime as CH62 791.25MHz, but CH62 is 799.25 and CH61 is 791.25
    Prime's website list Forest Heights as 62V 699.25MHz.

Quote Originally Posted by Skolink View Post
    The Lincrad website definitely isn't 100%. I found errors on it when compiling the Nelson list of frequencies. It is unlikely that the would be transmitting on the same frequency from neighboring towers (even if they are not the same polartity) for example what you listed for TV1.
    You might fin that your friend's TV, like my parents, lists the frequencies slightly offset (0.5MHz)

Also for example you list Prime as CH62 791.25MHz, but CH62 is 799.25 and CH61 is 791.25
    Prime's website list Forest Heights as 62V 699.25MHz.
    oops sorry that's my typo yes, I meant 62V 699.25MHz...

neighbouring towers do appear to broadcast on the same channels but if you notice, one of them broadcasts TV1 and TV2 in Horizontal on CHannels 7s and 4 and the other broadcasts it vertically on 7 and 4.

as another option to refine this process, can I add in channels myself? I seem to remember a tcl script called wholechannel or something that predated the organised headends? have searched for it but having trouble finding it on the site. Is this still feasible and would it allow me to narrow down exactly what channels are correct for the Waikane area on TiVo? Can anyone point me to a HowTo for doing it?

Thanks muchly...

Assuming you have now completed guided setup, you can "try" each channel number by simply typing the number on the tivo keypad on the remote. (i.e. type '1', wait for tivo to change to that channel and see if there is a tv station at that frequency, then type '2' etc up to 11, then from 27 to 62). This method lets you choose channel numbers that are not in the guide data. It's not exactly fast, but it is simple and should take no more than 10 min.