Thread: How should I convert Sony TiVo?

How should I convert Sony TiVo?

I live in the US and have been using the SVR-2000 since early '02 with no problems. I will be moving back to Australia in November and I plan to take the TiVo with me. As I understand it the procedure is:

a) Find a compatible ISP or use an ethernet adapter of some kind
    b) Change out or hack the OS
    c) Select the 'slice' and IR codes required for whatever setup I'll have.

Would it be easiest to just blow away the OS on there and use the oztivo image? It currently has 3.0-01-1-010.

I don't plan on upgrading the HD right away, but from what I've seen it's fairly easy to move to a two-drive system.

The 802.11b adapter available - any opinions on that as used with the SVR-2000? Can it be used at all?

I guess I'll have more questions but those'll do for now - this is a great resource and I look forward to getting TiVo back home.

a) Find a compatible ISP or use an ethernet adapter of some kind

Only if you want to connect over dial-up. (Also I'm working with another OzTiVo member who owns an ISP to set up a special account for TiVo's with it built in to the image - discussion has been going on in the mailing list)

b) Change out or hack the OS

A lot easier to just blow it all away and install the OzTiVo emulator image.

Would it be easiest to just blow away the OS on there and use the oztivo image? It currently has 3.0-01-1-010.

Yes

I don't plan on upgrading the HD right away, but from what I've seen it's fairly easy to move to a two-drive system.

[COOR=Navy]The 802.11b adapter available - any opinions on that as used with the SVR-2000? Can it be used at all?[/COLOR]

You should be able to find information on this in America, as it's no different here. Most people on the mailing list recomend a hard wired turbonet card, even if you plug that into a wireless acess point next to the TiVo (that way you could go to 802.11g). The ones that are made for the TiVo are problematic, and certainly don't have the throughput to handle streaming video..

Charlie

Hmm. Cheers for the reply! I'll post back much, much later once we sort things out