Thread: Help required for a newbie

Help required for a newbie

Hello, new to Tivo and have a Thomson unit, with a 9th Tee cache card and ram. Have loaded "nzTiVo-Thomson-Installer-Dec06RC1.iso
    During Guided Setup, have selected following options:
    Aerial Only
    Post Code 02121
    Have got to call in section and it goes like this: Preparing to Call, Housekeeping, Connecting, Failed. Number not available.

Questions so far:
    I'm in Mt Maunganui and I know our TV signal comes from Auckland via Te Aroha, am I using the correct Postcode or do we actually get the Hamilton feed?
    Is any special config needed for the cache card or is it done in the Thomson image?
    I can ping both the Tivo on my network and also out to the NZ Emulator, so feel that the Tivo should be able to contact the emulator.
    Have checked the joe /etc/tclient.conf to confirm that it's pointed at: 127::210.48.107.133:8000:::

Tuesday 22nd: Have checked address for emulator again ( and again and...) and have also tried the emu2 address and also the legacy 80 port address. all to no avail.
    After more reading of the forums, have tried the ",#401" dialling prefix and still no joy.

Can you please suggest what to do next, or what I'm doing or have done wrong?

I like what I see here and I'd like to contribute in some way. Not too tech savvy but able to follow directions.

Thanks in anticipation
    Last edited by Chieftain; 22-01-2008 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Added to description of problem.

Post code

I don't know about Thompson TiVo's, but on Philips or Sony you select cable for FTA with the internal tuner (yes, cable not aerial).

Go here http://www.lincrad.co.nz/transmittersites.html and look at your TV which will hopfully tell you the frequencies it is tuned to so you can work out where your signal is coming from.

You will probably need to reimage if you want to change postcode (to say 02125 for Hamilton), otherwise you will get stuck at 10% indexing during GS.

Cheers,
    John

Post Code

You suggested:
    Go here http://www.lincrad.co.nz/transmittersites.html and look at your TV which will hopefully tell you the frequencies it is tuned to so you can work out where your signal is coming from. End of quote.

Firstly, thank you very much for your suggestion.

I've followed your instructions and it confirms that we receive signals from two transmitters as we are in the lee of a hill and can't get TV 1 and 2 from Te Aroha and we have a special transmitter a couple of streets away.

Would I be correct in thinking I may need a custom made Post Code? If so, what's the best approach for that, please?

Cheers,
    Simon

Adding frequencies

Hi Simon,
    Just saw your post now. You should contact DJC (as mentioned here http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=912 ) and ask him to create the new headend for Mt Maunganui.
    Perhaps it would be better if the extra frequencies were just added to the Hamilton (or Auckland) headend, if some people in those places would also be using the same transmitters, and if most people in Mt Maunganui receive TV from there.

Anyway, tell DJC what channels (frequency) each TV station is on.
    By channel I mean these: http://www.lincrad.co.nz/pdf/nztelevisionchannels.pdf
    Hopefully he will have time to create the new headend

Cheers,
    John