Thread: Finally going to new emulator...

Finally going to new emulator...

I'm finally going to shift over to the new emulator over christmas (cross fingers). My current image just refuses to play, so I'm re-imaging.

Mine is a Thompson UK model with turbonet.

A few questions:

1) I notice that people are sucessfully using disks bigger than 180gb these days. There used to be hassles with this - I assume this has been taken care of in the new images so I don't have to worry about it?

2) if I install the image on a new 250gb and get it all working, can I then add the old 160 as a second drive, or will I have to start over? I have the bracket.

3) the thread on the images says something about the Thompson image requiring 'some addional setup', but there's no explicit reference to what - can someone point me in the right direction?

Any other 'gotchas' you can warn me about?

Thanks a heap in advance, and thanks to all for supporting this wonderful toy for so long!

- Jeff Rice
    Thompson (UK) 160gb, turbonet

Quote Originally Posted by jrice View Post
    1) I notice that people are sucessfully using disks bigger than 180gb these days. There used to be hassles with this - I assume this has been taken care of in the new images so I don't have to worry about it?
    That was years ago and the limit was actually 137gb. Has not been an issue for years.

2) if I install the image on a new 250gb and get it all working, can I then add the old 160 as a second drive, or will I have to start over? I have the bracket.
    Best off to add it WHEN you image the new drive via a menu option in the installer image. You can use the installer CD to marry them later but it is not 100% successful. Be aware however that if you have any doubts about the health of the old drive then don't do it as you will lose all data when one drive goes down. You can't split the data once you marry two hard disks together.

Can't help with question #3, sorry.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

I'll echo what Darren has said about point 2.

Any 2 drive TiVo has twice the chance of loosing all your shows over a single TiVo. And marrying a new drive with an old one increases the chance of failure even more.

Unless you really need to store that many shows on your TiVo, you would be better off adding the 160gb to a PC and storing some shows there. At least if it fails you'll have better chance of recovering your data.

Peter
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!