Thread: Help with 200g/b Hard drive setup

Help with 200g/b Hard drive setup

GDay all
    I have ordered a diskless TiVo and network card etc from George at Eklectic and hopefully it will arrive any time now. I bought a 200 gig Seagate hard drive from the local computer fair and created the BootCD from the ISO and imaged the new hard drive. It seemed to create the image OK but I noticed that when I start up the PC (a fairly old one) it reports the hard disk as only being 8gb in size. Does the boot CD automatically create the partition using the full size of the disk regardless of the PC used to create it? Is there a linux command to see the actual size of the partition? Any advice much appreciated - I'm still trying to get my head around this linux stuff.
    Thanks

You copied the OzTivo ISO across to the drive and then booted into Windows
    with the TiVo drive connected?

If so, Windows has probably written to it now and it will require you to reload the image onto the drive.

No I didn't use Windows - I booted again with the CD and when the PC starts and detects the hard drive, it says Sec Master Disk 8455 MB

Hi Smegger,

Restoring the OzTiVo image creates a number of partitions on the drive - something like 9 I think. They're of different types too. Some are Linux filesystems, one is a swap partition and others are mfs partitions.

The best guide to the recording capacity of the drive is what is reported as the restore command completes. According to this ...

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...ngTimeWilliGet

... it should report something around 235 hours. Note that this is the amount of recording at "Basic" quality, I've found that I use "Best" quality all the time which would mean 65 hours capacity if I had a 200Gb drive (insert jealous smiley here).

I'm not aware of any command that will report the capacity on an existing drive but you can always run the restore again and see what it says.

Good luck.

Cheers, Dave.
    Living Room: US Philips HDR112, Seagate 200Gb, OzTiVo Image v1.5 (20051128), CacheCard (no RAM), Kross STB
    Rumpus Room: US Philips HDR31202, Seagate 120Gb, OzTiVo Image v1.6, CacheCard (no RAM), Tuner Mod, Dual Input Mod
    Additional Hacks: Re-order Season Passes

Smile

Hi Dave
    Thanks for that.
    The OzTivo image did report at the end that there was a capacity of 225 hours so it looks like all the capacity of the drive was used even though the BIOS reports only a capacity of 8 gb. I just wasn't sure how many hours 200 gb stored in hours. Huge sigh of relief!

thanks again