This issue started to be discussed in Use nzTivo Image (based on 1.5) or OzTivo 1.6.2 ?? but is sufficiently different to warrant starting a new thread.

In summary, I have had trouble that when my TurboNet card is connected to a network, the tivo starts to freeze. I am using OzTivo 1.6.2, with NZ Freeview and originally set internal modem to do the daily connect (which it did successfully).

After extensive testing, I have have discovered that running nic_config_tivo from a bash shell will reliably screw up my modem daily connections and require a re-image to get it working again (so I can only do manual edits, or run nic_config_tivo from the install CD).

I was also instructed that there is another bug in nic_config_tivo that does not save "timing" properly, so I manually edited /etc/oztivo.conf file from timing=3 to timing=16

I was unable to establish LAN connection (telnet, ftp or http) so even though I'm using the modem for daily calls, I've temporarily edited /etc/oztivo.conf to change nic=Modem to nic=TurboNet

Detailed results are below, but in summary, TurboNet is still (almost always)freezing the Tivo after a few minutes, often provoked by something connecting to the tivo via LAN.

As code to retain formatting:
Code:
- I tried manually editing oztivo.conf so "nic=Modem" becomes "nic=TurboNet".
  - Also has "netmask=255.255.255.0"
  - First reboot, Tivo got stuck at "Starting Up".
  - Next time, booted ok. DHCP server gave it "10.1.13". I tried putty for telnet. Tivo froze.
  - Next time, booted ok. Putty, ttermpro and ftp all work. BUT http://10.1.1.3 fails. TivoWeb(Plus) (http://10.1.1.3) has never worked for me.
    - ifconfig reports an "eth0", which means the ethernet device is enabled (this was not the case back when "nic=Modem"). 
    - With putty running, tried to access ftp simultaneously. Tivo froze.
  - Next time, booted ok. Only used ftp. Ok for a while (under 10mins). Then Tivo froze.
    - Got a good session, installing tserver and timezone file and copying off 5gb of video. But a few hours later, when I went to get another video via TyTool 10r4, tivo froze.
    - Rebooted. Was playing a recording. Re-ran TyTool 10r4, started tserver and refreshed ok. First 'get' failed. Second 'get' froze tivo.
      The log:
      [TiVo [p0] ~]# /var/hack/tserver
      Doing the Lowest PriorityFix...
      Waiting for an incoming connection!
      SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'SHOWING'
      SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'TYSTRM2 0.12.0.5 2883 12602/12604/12630'
      ERROR: Could not connect the socket!
      ERROR: Could not connect to client to send data!
    - Rebooted. Left tivo in the "Tivo Central" screen. Ran TyTool 10r4, started tserver and refreshed ok. First 'get' failed. Second 'get' froze tivo. Same error log as above. Tried a few times.
    - I sometimes notice that after it freezes, the tivo's HDD starts 'thrashing' busily for about 1 minute, then stops. I wait for it to stop before pulling the plug. I tried telnetting in via serial, but no response.
    - Rebooted. Waited a few minutes. Then tried an ftp connection. Tivo freezes. 
    - Rebooted. Ran TyTool 10r4, started tserver. Tivo freezes. 
      - Tivo freezing is getting more frequent/intolerant, so maybe a 'buildup' effect? I'll test that theory:
    - I unplugged the LAN and turned off the tivo for a few hours. When I plugged both back in, I could get a few more minutes (even some short connections) before tivo freezes.
      - So giving it a rest did seem to reduce freezing (but not enough to be usable).
    - The modem's daily connections have now failed for the last couple of days.
So in summary, it is possibly better with timing=16, but it is still freezing a lot (though it had one good session?!), and tivoweb is still inaccessible. Dang.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.