Hi,

A friend who knows little about Linux asked me to assist him to change his newly acquired Tivo ('Sony', ex-USA) for Oz. He now has a suitably set up 120GB hard disk after some gentle lessons from me in how to make a CD from an ISO file, and how to launch the CD.

However, he also wants to have his old 40GB drive 're-purposed' for other uses around his various computers. I was asked to do this after he had 'issues'!

I have discovered that the original USA Tivo's Maxtor D540X-4K 4K040H2 40GB drive comes up with a 10MB (that's 10MB) visible disk when I try to do anything to it. Note: Several Linux live CDs seem to show this as a SCSI disk (/dev/sda). No other partition seems to be visible. Seemingly, nothing will tempt any distro I've used to allow me to free up the (other) disk space.

For that matter, the oztivo imaged CD won't touch it, either. It baulks because there is "insufficient disk space" (or words of that effect; also see mention of 10MB above.)

I've yet to find a "brute force" partitioning disk that is around here somewhere.

I'd appreciate any advice, please.

Peter